Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have problems with body temp, sleep patterns, muscle pain

Customer Question

Hi I have problems with body temp, sleep patterns, muscle pain and thirst.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 8 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age and gender?

How long have you been having these symptoms?

Have you seen a doctor for this? Any tests done?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello, I am 23 and Female. I have had the symptoms for over 6 months. Started off with thermoregulation problems.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have has a full blood count
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
had

Have you had checks for thyroid, sugar, etc?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
they surprisingly came back normal
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I'm baffled because my sleeping pattern is messed up my night has turned into my day. At about 10pm I get very hyper

Thank you for your reply. Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes as we often have our offline work to deal with and also sometimes a number of customers at the same time.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Sure no problem

You have been suffering from multiple issues which are not related.
Your symptoms are suggestive of functional symptoms due to health anxiety and not any physical disease. You have to recognize this so that you can fight back. Health anxiety is something that millions of people go through every year. I will recommend some steps to take for your health anxiety.

See your Family Physician / Primary care physician and ask about stress/depression which can set off this health anxiety. Anti anxiety medicines will benefit you greatly - ask for them.

You are also having insomnia. You should approach your doctor and discuss your insomnia and ask for sleeping aids. There are so many sleeping aids available today, you are sure to find one that works well for you. Zolpidem is one of the most commonly used for this. For insomnia along with depression or anxiety, Trazadone is a very effective medicine, ask your doctor about this. Doxepin works best for preventing waking episodes during the night.

Besides medicines, you should try some other natural steps to help you to sleep.

For good sleep, a good sleep hygeine is essential.

Some of the steps to take are:
Go to bed at the same time every day
Ensure your room is well darkened
Do not take tea or coffee two hours before going to bed
Have a glass of warm milk – it helps in sleep. In bed, choose a heavy book - a history book, biography, the bible - read a few chapters which will make you sleepy.

I would suggest, in addition to these steps , some natural foods and supplements that you can try are:

L-tryptophan: Seafood, chicken, milk, cheese, yogurt, beans and cashews. snacksof cheese before bed work well. You can also use supplements 1000 mgdaily.

Lecithin : available in egg yolk and soy products. You can also get supplements - 2-4 tsf daily.

Chamomile:

Chamomile tea is a very good sleep inducer. You should take a cup of chamomile tea every night before going to sleep. It is also a very good agent for anxiety - take two-three cups during the day whenever you have anxiety.

Hops

Hops can also be used as a cereal in the morning, it helps greatly in calming you down.

Melatonin

Melatonin is a sleep hormone that is available OTC. It is not a typical sedative but a natural hormone. Ideally, this should be taken only after a sleep study and monitoring of a physician. Melatonin helps to regulate sleep patterns, it decreases both the time taken to fall asleep and the time to wake up. You should take 1 mg tab, you can increase it to 10 mg, once just before sleeping. This might do the trick.

Also try out some steps to combat your sleeplessness.

I would like you to try Yoga. Yoga can give great benefits in sleeplessness and anxiety - probably the best natural treatment for this. Join a good yoga class - it will surely lessen your fatigue.

Go for regular exercise - go for at least 30 minute walks five times a week. Exercise will help you greatly. This is the single most important step that you should take.

Also try to break the mold. Join a new class - perhaps a music class. Join a club. Dont sit at home in the evenings - go for a cinema or a pub, etc. Dont settle down, move around - this can work wonders.

Take care - try out these steps and I am sure you will report back with great benefits.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I think you'll find the hypothalmus controls these functions
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I'm also a trained psychologist
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It's not health anxiety
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
That's just a lazy answer
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
it's not going to help me get better, which will in turn lead to mental health problems

We need not think of hypothalamic dysfunction which is an unknown entity, it cannot be diagnosed. Not just the hypothalamus but the control centers for these functions are found in several areas of the brain.