Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
19706630

I think I have viral gastroenteritis: Started 4 days ago

Customer Question

I think I have viral gastroenteritis: Started 4 days ago with nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and a pain in the centre below the ribs. No vomiting or diarrhoea since then, but intermittent pain and nausea. Is there anything I can take for the nausea and stomach pain?
JA: How long have you been in pain? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?
Customer: stomach pain fluctuates over last 4 days accompanied by nausea but no vomiting
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so. I was really wanting to know if there is anything I can get over the counter to stop the nausea and pain because gastroenteritis cannot be treated but has to run its course.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 17 days ago.
Hi. I’m Dr. Mark.  I’m a board certified physician and happy to assist you with your diarrhea.  Sorry to hear your sick.  Is the stool watery?  Do you have any fever?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Watery but I haven't had any since Sunday
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 17 days ago.

Thanks for the additional information.  It does sound like a viral gastroenteritis.   Peptobismal is over the counter and help with nausea and diarrhea.   I’d stick to clear liquids and the brat diet.  Bananas, rice, apple sauce and toast.   Give it a few days and it should resolve.  If you develop a fever or new symptoms let me know.  We can stay in touch.  These are my recommendations.  Do you follow me?

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 17 days ago.

Do you have any additional questions or need clarification?  I want to make sure that you understand my recommendations.