Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

For the last 3 weeks, I have eaten breakfast every morning

Customer Question

For the last 3 weeks, I have eaten breakfast every morning and sometimes I feel sick like nausea , sometimes just by drinking water. I have to take a deep breath, and then I will burp(hiccup). it will happen every 15 minutes, but after a while it will be gone again. There seems to be no similar feeling after lunch, and there has been a similar feeling after dinner in recent days, but it is not as serious as after breakfast.I wonder if I can do a gastroscopy. Worried about whether it might be stomach cancer
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: no I just came from Hong Kong
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I feel nausea, burp need to deep breath after eating nothing else thanks
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 13 days ago.
Hi,Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Sumanth. I've 17years of experience in the field of Medicine. I'm currently reviewing your query, be back ASAP.

1. May I know your age and gender please?
  2. Are you having any burning pain radiating in the central part of the chest and how long have you had this for?
  3. Is this associated with any hot and spicy or exotic food?
  4. Did this start after any street food or unhygienic food?
  5. Is there any personal or family history of gastritis or gastroesophageal reflux?
  6. Are you feeling bloated even after small amount of food?
  7. Has there been any alternating diarrhea and constipation?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
1 birth in 1963 female 2. No 3. No 4. No eat breakfast at home something like water then egg oatmeal with nuts and soy milk sometimes avocado with bread but I had some turmeric with black pepper three weeks ago now stopped. 5. No 6 yes sometimes in the morning 7 No

I am sorry I lost connectivity due to bad weather.

Thank you for the information.
From your symptom analysis and correlating it with the medical history that I have gathered from you I feel that the possibilities are -

1. Acute gastritis - Probably food related.
  2. Gastroesophageal reflux.
  3. Irritable Bowel syndrome.

I suggest -
  1. Tablet Famotidine 20mg (available as over the counter) twice a day for 3 - 7 days depending on the symptom abatement.
  2. Head end of the bed elevation.
  3. Do not skip breakfast.
  4. Rather than two or three heavy meals, take small aliquots of four to five meals a day.
  5. Avoid eating 3 hours before going to bed.
  6. Avoid certain foods which can increase the the reflux like whole milk, dairy products, caffeine, chocolate, alcohol, hot tomato sauces, onions, spicy food, citrus fruits, grapefruits and peppermint.
  7. Stop medications like nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs including Motrin, Advil and also vitamin C.
  8. Do not don tight stomach compressing clothing.
  9. Home therapy - you can do one tablespoon of of baking soda in 1 cup of warm water, gargling several times a day.

If you are not better with these measures we need to consider either IBS or prescription grade medications like proton pump inhibitors which can be very effective.
I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you today!
Is there anything else where I can be of assistance to you in this regard please. We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.
Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani