Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have a lump behind my left ear that has been there for

I have a lump behind my left ear that has been there for over 4 years but it has over the past year almost doubled in size and I'm a bit worried its pushing my ear right out now. It is not painful at all but is rock hard almost like bone. However, I've been getting terrible ear infections in both ears constantly oozing then scabbing up and my hearing is getting very abd

Hello, my name is***** I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

I am reviewing your question and will be back with my response shortly.

You should not worry about this at all.

This is an enlarged lymph node.

Swollen or enlarged nodes occur due to an infection in the surrounding region. They are a natural reaction to infection and a part of our immunological response.

In your case the node occurred due to your ear infections.
Usually the gland subsides after the infection is over but quite often it can continue to remain enlarged for a long time, often for life.
Enlarged lymph nodes are not at all a cause of worry, all people have a few nodes lifelong.

Another possibility is that this could be bone also, protuberances from the bone are common in this region called osteoma, this is also of no concern, it will not cause you any harm at all and is not related to your ear infections.

You may show it to your doctor the next time you visit them, but in general there is no cause for worry either way.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
THank you that is a relief although I'm not over joyed about how much my one ear sticks out but its not the end of the world lol I am slightly embarrassed about this but its preventing me from seeing my doctor I have also discovered a lump at the tip of my cervix and have been getting very horrible abdominal aches with more often and heavy periods and my urine has started smelling rather unpleasant

You should show your doctor for this. You may be having an infection. Dont worry, they will have seen and heard this all many times. There is nothing to worry about this.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I am more worried what i will hear which I know is so stupid but I lost my mum 2 years agoshe was only 56 and was diagnosed with a tumor in her abdomen and within 2 months she died so this has scared me and my initial reaction has been to pretend its not happening which is the dumbest thing I know!

Dont worry, this is not a tumour. These are not signs of tumor.