Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

My neck feels strained on the sides its like a sharp pain

Customer Question

My neck feels strained on the sides its like a sharp pain and I can feel it more when I tilt my head on the side. Sometimes I have some dizziness but I think that's because My vein is compressed like a vertigo so I would like to know what I can do
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: I don't have a headache daily but sometimes because of the neck pain or strain I get pressure
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I'm 19 and I workout nearly every day
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 8 days ago.
Hi,Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Sumanth. I've 17years of experience in the field of Medicine. I'm currently reviewing your query, be back ASAP.
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 8 days ago.

Hello... I understand your concern. I need some more information please.

1. May I know your age and gender please?
  2. How long has this pain been there for?
  3. Is it only pain or is there any tingling and numbness too?
  4. Is the pain aggravated by movement?
  5. Has it started after any unaccustomed work or heavy exercise or weight lifting or an injury or fall?
  6. Are you a hypertensive or diabetic?
  7. Is there any personal or family history of kidney stones please and is the pain radiating from loin to groin?
Please get back to me with the above information so that I can guide you better.
Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I'm 19 I'm male the pain is not often there's no tingling yes pain is agrrevated by movment, and to he honest I think the reason for my pain is bad posture and the workouts I do I'm not hypertensive ans no kidney stones
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 8 days ago.

Thank you for getting back with the requested necessary information.
From your symptom analysis and correlating it with the history that I have gathered from you I feel that the possibilities here are -
1. Muscular spasm or a pull of the tendon in the region which is caused by the bending or abnormal posture.
My suggestion will be to take tablet Ibuprofen 400mg or Tylenol 650mg three times a day after food or on as and when required basis for a couple of days till the pain subsides.
If you are not better with this even after a week or if the pain is getting aggravated or if you are perceiving any redness or swelling or heat over the region then you will require medical attention please.
Your physician might prescribe muscle relaxant which will set things right.

2. Although extremely unlikely vertebral compression or disc protrusion related radiculopathy has to be evaluated, if you are not better even after a week and your physician might ask for MRI spine to confirm the diagnosis please.

Meanwhile -

1. Keep yourself well hydrated.
  2. Do not strain or lift heavy weights.
  3. Do not do any abnormal, unaccustomed exercises or postures.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you today!
Is there anything else where I can be of assistance to you in this regard please. We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.