Caring doc
Caring doc, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist. MBBS,MD
25020506

How should I deal with adhd without medication.

Hi.Welcome to just answer.I am caring doc.I can help you today. 

I am reviewing your question please give me some time.

Respected customer, the treatment of ADHD in adults depends upon the severity, specific deficits, underlying depression or anxiety etc.The treatment can be medication alone,psychotherapy or combination. We recommend medication to start with in adults. But if you are not willing to take medication, you can ask for psychotherapy alone.There are many types of psychotherapeutic treatments including cognitive behavioral therapy and many other,you can make an appointment with your physician and get a referral for the therapist, who can help you.

I hope it helps.

Let me know if you have any questions please.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I’m being prescribed atomoxetine. 40mg for a week and then 80mg after. Before that I took amphetamine vyvance. First dexamphetamine 4mg and then lisdexamfetamine 30mg.
My symptoms on amphetamine was average, the only problem was it was helping me at the end but I became very dependent to it in a month. Also the effects didn’t last longer than 4-6 hours. After awhile my processing skills was bad and horrible but by the end I could stay as alert as I wanted for max 3-4 days and now that it’s finished I’m freaking out because I can’t pay attention as much as I want to like I was able to in the month I took the amphetamine. Now I’m mentally unstable and trying to find a way to deal with the instability. Any advise in this case? I need a second opinion but I don’t have the money and time to book with another psychiatrist.

What medication are you on now?

Is it helping or not?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I’m not on medication right now. I’m waiting for atomoxetine to be delivered to the nearest pharmacy for me. But while waiting for it I’m doing research on how it works and it’s average effects. Also I’m assuming this will be different for me since the other medication that I took before(amphetamine/vyvance) had a different side effects and sometimes didn’t work on me depending on how I took it. The reason why I’m coming here for help is because without the medication I feel high I can’t focus longer than 2 minutes and stay on a topic longer than a few seconds unless it’s written down. It’s weird. I can’t believe I lived like this for 20 years. How do people cope with it.

Respected customer,for adults with ADHD with prominent deficits in executive functioning, we suggest combined treatment with medication augmented by cognitive  behavioral therapy or CBT targeting executive functioning. If a patient experiences a partial response we favor switching to another medication.If the medication is being switched due to inadequate response without side effects, we suggest initiation of the new stimulant at a dose that is equivalent to or slightly lower than the dose of the current stimulant.Your doctor has prescribed you atmoxetine it is usually prescribed if you have a history of substance use disorder. But you will need cognitive behavioral therapy that is targeted towards your particular deficits.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Noted. Thank you for your advise.

You are most welcome!