Dr.Shakeel Ansari
Dr.Shakeel Ansari, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Diploma clinical Neurology
111828307

I’m being prescribed atomoxetine. 40mg for a week and then

I’m being prescribed atomoxetine. 40mg for a week and then 80mg after. Before that I took amphetamine vyvance. First dexamphetamine 4mg and then lisdexamfetamine 30mg.
My symptoms on amphetamine was average, the only problem was it was helping me at the end but I became very dependent to it in a month. Also the effects didn’t last longer than 4-6 hours. After awhile my processing skills was bad and horrible but by the end I could stay as alert as I wanted for max 3-4 days and now that it’s finished I’m freaking out because I can’t pay attention as much as I want to like I was able to in the month I took the amphetamine. Now I’m mentally unstable and trying to find a way to deal with the instability. Any advise in this case? I need a second opinion but I don’t have the money and time to book with another psychiatrist.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
For adhd
Hi, this is Dr Ansari, welcome to JA
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hello, thank you
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I’m not on medication right now. I’m waiting for atomoxetine to be delivered to the nearest pharmacy for me. But while waiting for it I’m doing research on how it works and it’s average effects. Also I’m assuming this will be different for me since the other medication that I took before(amphetamine/vyvance) had a different side effects and sometimes didn’t work on me depending on how I took it. The reason why I’m coming here for help is because without the medication I feel high I can’t focus longer than 2 minutes and stay on a topic longer than a few seconds unless it’s written down. It’s weird. I can’t believe I lived like this for 20 years. How do people cope with it.

You have to have cognitive therapy along with medications for the successful management of ADHD. Intuniv is a non-stimulant treatment for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). It is a long-acting form of guanfacine. Guanfacine had already been used off-label to treat children with ADHD who also have tics, sleep problems, or aggression. In 2011, Intuniv received a new indication for use as adjunctive therapy for ADHD.

This meant that it could be used with stimulant ADHD medications such as Concerta, Focalin, Adderall XR, Vyvanse, etc. It may also be used alone (monotherapy) to treat ADHD.

You have to discuss about this medication with your therapist as they can let you prescribe it if it is suitable for you.

I hope this information will help you to discuss management with your therapist.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
it gave me a direction. thank you for your advise

You are most welcome.