Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

I don’t know if you can help, but I am struggling with my

Hi, I don’t know if you can help, but I am struggling with my mental health, I feel like I need an assessment for a diagnosis but don’t know how to go about that or if it’s even a thing
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I saw a doctor a few years ago but the problem got worse. No medication
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: no Medication
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no that’s all
Hello, thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.

Please go ahead and detail your symptoms for me and I will do my best to help.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I’ve completed a lot of the online assessments and I feel like I’ve got boderline personality disorder. I go through phases where I feel so empty and negative and like I don’t even want to be alive (I’m not suicidal, just don’t enjoy life) but then I go to the opposite spectrum. J am very impulsive and can’t figure out why
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
That’s only brief obviously but I didn’t know how much to start with sorry!
That’s helpful thank you.

Can you comment on how you do with personal relationships please?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I’ve just come out of a long term relationship, I’ve started a new one with a guy who is so lovely but I can’t commit fully. I can’t fault him, but I can’t stay faithful and for some reason I just keep risking it by going with other people. Sorry this is awkward.
I don’t have many friends, I have one proper friend who I am comfortable speaking to about anything but other than that I get on with most people but that’s about it, no decent friendships

And how would you describe yourself, particularly in terms of self image, self esteem, confidence?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have very little, I’m very unhappy with my appearance I’m overweight. I have next to no confidence when it comes to my capabilities or myself, but this always surprises people as I can be very loud and outgoing and seem confident
Thank you for all the responses.

I agree there are some traits of borderline personality disorder here, but (from this brief assessment) I don’t think formally diagnostic.

A more detailed assessment and diagnosis can be made via the local mental health team who often will organise an hour long psychiatrist appointment to assess new patients (after an initial triage appointment with a mental health practitioner). This is normally arranged following a GP referral so I would suggest this as the first step.

In any event, I do think that psychotherapy would be the appropriate management approach here (CBT, possibly DBT) and a pragmatic approach would be to consider starting this process in the meantime. Either privately or via the NHS (referral processes vary by region, you can normally find the information by searching “IAPT [your location]”)

I hope this is helpful.

Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
That’s really helpful thank you, I’ve been trying to avoid going to my GP but will look to go privately I think. Thank you very much

You’re very welcome and I wish you all the very best.

Thank you again for trusting JustAnswer with your question. If you have any additional concerns, or need me to clarify anything, please let me know and I am happy to help.