Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

I’ve felt anxious, depressed and exhausted for about 6

Hi, I’ve felt anxious, depressed and exhausted for about 6 months now and I often feel like even when I sleep it’s not restful and I wake up not feeling refreshed at all. How do I fix it ?
JA: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?
Customer: 6 months, I have reached out to my doctor and I’ve tried anti-depressants but they haven’t made a huge impact
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no I think that’s all thank you
Hello, thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok cheers

I’m sorry to hear about this problem, it does sound consistent with depression.

The most effective approach for the majority is to follow a combined approach to the management and recovery plan. This will include positive lifestyle changes (sleep hygiene, exercise, diet, alcohol etc), wellbeing activities (‘flow’ activities, meditation, yoga, controlled breathing etc), psychotherapy and (but not essential) antidepressant medication.

May I ask if any of the other factors have been trialled yet and also what antidepressant(s) you have used so far?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I’ve tried citalopram 10mg and didn’t see many changes, I then tried 20mg and it was a bit better. I came off it for about a month though and have just restarted
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I’ve also taken a course of iron medication for anaemia but my iron levels weren’t too low
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I was just wondering is depression common with not feeling well rested after sleeping ? And can it fix
this is a very common symptom of depression, though it’s also worthwhile considering additional possibilities such as sleep apnoea if you happen to snore.

Often there is a natural degree of trial and error finding the right medication as there is a fairly high degree of individual variability. For information, some patients will find Escitalopram more effective and tolerable than Citalopram and is very easy to switch straight over onto. Alternatively, Mirtazapine is one that is taken at night and can promote more effective sleep in some patients.

I hope this is helpful.

Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Yeah I was just wondering what the cause of depression is if you are happy with the way your life is, then that’s all thank you for your help

Unfortunately there is no singular cause and frequently there isn’t an obvious reason either. There is some inherent predisposition within us all, more so in some often with a inherited component.

Thank you again for trusting JustAnswer with your question. If you have any additional concerns, or need me to clarify anything, please let me know and I am happy to help.