Dr Geyik, MBBS
Dr Geyik, MBBS,
Experience:  Expert
113018656

Does HRT protect against Dementia and what age can you go on

Customer Question

Does HRT protect against Dementia and what age can you go on this
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Fluzatine for flushes
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  Dr Geyik, MBBS replied 6 days ago.

Hello. This is Dr Geyik and I will be assisting you today.

Can I please ask your age/gender and if you have any other medical conditions or allergies, or take medications?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No other conditions and I am 74

HRT is Hormone Replacement Therapy and is used in women who are going through or on menopause. Menopause caused reduction in female hormones and HRT replaces those hormones.

So, a women can go on HRT when going through menopause or when the female hormones are low.

HRT can help with the overall health of a woman and indirectly can help with dementia as well.

Having said that, HRT is not a medication or treatment for dementia. It can only help with dementia as it improves general health of a woman.

If you have hot flushes or other symptoms, you could discuss with your GP and they could try a very low dose HRT or a patch.