Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

My Friend has been diagnosed with Lung Cancer and is of the

Customer Question

Hi My Friend has been diagnosed with Lung Cancer and is of the belief that there may be a lot of benefits self medicating with cannabis to help control the symptoms and possibly help prevent further growth of the tumour. My question is would this be available through The NHS and if so would he qualify?
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 6 days ago.
Hello, thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 6 days ago.

I’m very sorry indeed to hear about your friend.

The prescription of medicinal cannabis on the NHS is quite highly restricted, only being prescribed by specialist practitioners (normally oncologists and neurologists) and generally only for the evidence-based indications as per the NICE guidance on this subject, namely intractable nausea/vomiting (often related to chemotherapy), chronic pain, spasticity (due to neurological conditions) and treatment-resistant epilepsy.

As such, I don’t believe your friend will be eligible for these products to be prescribed on the NHS unless he develops nausea and/or pain refractory to standard treatments (I sincerely ***** ***** does not).

Sadly, I am not aware of any good quality evidence that cannabis reduces the growth rate of cancer or provide any other prognostic benefit.

Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 6 days ago.
I hope this is helpful.
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 6 days ago.

Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No that was a good answer thanks
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 6 days ago.

That’s kind of you to say, many thanks and I wish you all the best.

Thank you again for trusting JustAnswer with your question. If you have any additional concerns, or need me to clarify anything, please let me know and I am happy to help.