Dr Hayat
Dr Hayat, Specialty Dr Internal and Critical Care Medicine
Experience:  Expert
113699036

Do I have a hernia? It started with right side groin pain

Do I have a hernia?It started with right side groin pain and testicular pain. The pain then spread to the inside of my right thigh as well which is very sore. I then started getting weird popping sensations and the feeling that liquid was moving all over my lower body. Then I got the same popping sensation on the left side of my groin and the same liquid sensation over my lower body. The pain/discomfort is very bad and I'm wondering what could be causing this. I spoke with 4 different doctors. My GP thought hernia because when she poked on my groin there was a lot of pain in a classic hernia spot, but she couldn't actually find a hernia. The others thought probably not a hernia on the basis that they couldn't find one and there was no pain when they tried all the spots. It was also suggested it could be an infection. But my antibiotics they gave me have done nothing to help my symptoms so far. I haven't had problems going to the bathroom other than some pain. No bruising or blood in urine etc... blood and urine tests came back clean. STI test clean. I have no pain in my lower back but it seemed like it might still be a nerve suppression issue causing refered pain perhaps?I have an ultrasound booked but only in 2 weeks... I am in a lot of pain right now and have to stay in bed all day. I would just like another opinion on what's going on here. Thanks!
Hi. Dr Hayat here. Welcome to JA.

May I please know your age?

Any underlying health conditions?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Male 31 (186cm 82KG) no health conditions

It sounds like a trapped nerve in the inguinal canal

Any swelling in the testis?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No swelling. When I push down on the very sore spot on the right, it makes me a tiny bit nauseous

Any pain in the testis?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Err right testicle I think. The tubes at least. Not sure about the testicle itself hard to say

Ok. What treatment are you on?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I was taking co codadaml but it made me constipated so I stopped. Now on paracetamol and ciprofloxcian (because doctors said it might be an infection)

Need to use Diclofenac 50mg thrice a day for 5 to 7 days. It should get better. If it doesn't in 48 hrs then add in Gabapentin 50mg twice a day to it too .

Both need a GP prescription.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What are those treating?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Any ideas what I have? Lol

As I said it sounds like a refered pain from a trapped Nerve in the inguinal canal. This would help relieve the swelling around the nerve and the pain

Anything else I can help with?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Kk. Is there a reason why the symptoms would be getting worse over time?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Also what are your thoughts on hernia? Likely? Unlikely?
Very unlikely
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Interesting. Why do u say that? By the way for some added context. I had pain for 2 weeks. 1st week was consistently 6/10 uncomfortable. This week has been more of an 8/10.
It should have shown up on the physical examination.  Plus hernia shouldn't cause pain of this severity unless it's obstructed and you don't have any symptoms of obstructed hernia fortunately
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ah great point. Hmm u might be onto something with the trapped nerve but why would the area around it stay so swollen for 2 weeks? Arguably more swollen now than before
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Would a trapped nerve in the pelvic region also make my inner thigh burn?

Yes. That's a very important sign..

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Okay. Is it normal for a swelling to sit on a trapped nerve for so long? Also I can't see any visible swelling, the area is very sore though.
Swelling around the nerve, u will not see it..but it's good enough to put pressure on the nerve
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Understood thanks. I assume ibuprofen is not enough?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Would a trapped nerve show up on an ultrasound?

No. MRI maybe

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Okay. Thanks very much!

Best wishes.  Please feel free to contact if you have any further queries or need to follow up. I would be happy to help and guide. Have a nice day.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I googled Ur suggestion at it fits perfectly. Just unsure why it was suggested to me before
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank u!

Take care.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Everything I am reading is telling me a pudendal nerve entrapment is super serious? Is that the case?
I would suggest to get an mri done first or what ever investigation the examining Dr considers feasible and then take it from there