Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

I think I have an ingrowing hair cyst that started about 6

Hi, I think I have an ingrowing hair cyst that started about 6 weeks ago on my lower belly just above the pubic line. It went down and has now flared up again. I put a plaster over it today to stop my trousers rubbing it, when I removed the plaster there was blood and pus on it. I can send a photo if needed.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No and none.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, it's impossible to get into my doctors surgery at the moment.

Hi! I am Dr Saleem. Welcome to JA.
Thank you for the question. I will be answering your query shortly.

Please share a picture of swelling for review. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (TSL135T)

Thank you for sharing a photo. That cyst has become infected and there is probably some pus inside as well. I suggest you apply topical triple antibiotic Neosporin on this for 5 days and see the response. You may use Tablet Ibuprofen 400 mg thrice daily for pain relief as well.

If the redness and swelling doesn't settle down then please see a doctor for oral antibiotic prescription and possible incision and drainage procedure.

Please let me know if you have any other queries. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** definitely what it is?
Where do I get topical triple antibiotic Neosporin from?

Yes, that's an infected cyst or possibly early abscess. You can get Neosporin from pharmacy without a prescription.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

Pleasure.