Dr Geyik, MBBS
Dr Geyik, MBBS,
Experience:  Expert
113018656

I need advice for my husband, he is 68, with an aorta

I need advice for my husband, he is 68, with an aorta aneurism and he has a chocking cough, no fever, but he has lose cathar and he is restless, BPM 84, Oxigen 96 so seems not an emergency....I gave him a couple of paracetamol....can I do anything else for him?
JA: How long has your husband been using paracetamol? Has it helped at all?
Customer: just taken, 10 min ago...not really...still coughing...every minute or so...
JA: Got it. Has he seen a doctor about cough?
Customer: no, not needed, was just an occasional cough, we both have it, due to new carpet in our Council house....too fluffy!
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in his medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Hypertension, ex smoker (not smoked for 8 yrs though)

Hello. This is Dr Geyik and I will be assisting you today.

Can I please ask how long he has been coughing? Is there any phlegm with the cough and what colour? 

Does he have chest or other pains, vomiting, bleeding, diarrhoea, dizziness, sweating, or other symptoms?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Good evening Doctor, no other problem but some phlegm is rattling in his lungs

Is he breathless or wheezy?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The colour is clear, yes he is wheezy

His pulse and oxygen level are fine.

How severe is his wheeze? Is he struggling with his breathing?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
But he can breath quite well, now that he is calmer...
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I gave him 2 paracetamole and a small dose of Lemsip Max All in one (10 ml) even if it says it is not suitable for hypertension sufferers

In that case, you can monitor him for now and call his GP in the morning for a review.

You can continue to give him paracetamol if he has any pain anywhere or fever. You can also try warm drinks with lemon/honey/ginger and steaming for the cough.

If he is on a blue inhaler, you can increase the dose of this inhaler to help his wheeze. 

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
That seems to have calmed him his coughing

If his symptoms become worse, his wheeze worsens, starts to struggle with his breathing, any chest pain, fever, vomiting, or feels unwell, then you call 111 or 999 for more urgent assessment.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No inhaler but I shall try the steam inhalation, thank you Doctor

You are most welcome. Best wishes!

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for being there! Good night, very grateful to you <3

You are very welcome. Good night to you two too.