Dr. Nickols M
Dr. Nickols M, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Expert
115571763

Last May I developed a rash from wearing a mask, I was

Last May I developed a rash from wearing a mask, I was wrongly prescribed betnovate which exacerbated the symptoms. I visited a dermatologist who diagnosed it as steroid induced perioral dermatitis. I immediately stopped the steroid and was prescribed azelaic acid. Now almost a year later, I've been left with unsightly scars, thinned skin and hyperpigmentation in the corners of my mouth. I have depigmented white spots on my lips and the skin surrounding my mouth is still very sensitive and reactive. The scarring does not seem to be healing at all, I've seen 4 dermatologists privately and spent hundreds of £s and no one seems to be able or willing to help. This has severely affected my confidence and mental health, I've had to leave my job and have barely left the house since this happened. I do not know who to turn to or what to do at this point and hope I can get some advice on what options I have to repair these scars.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the skin issue better or worse?
Customer: 1 year
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
File attached (3TLPPZT)

Hello, I am Dr. Nickols M. It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Not a problem. Thank yoh for yoyr response. Are you able to advise what my options are moving forward?

Can you tell me your age? And if you take any medication regularly?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I'm 36 and I'm taking lymecycline for the perioral dermatitis and codydramol for a separate issue.

Please give me a moment, I'm writing your answer.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok, thank you

Dear customer, it is a pleasure to be able to attend to you at this time, I am very sorry for the health situation you have been experiencing with what you are telling me, I understand that this may be affecting your quality of life considerably, so I will try to guide you in an appropriate manner in this regard. Your doctor's diagnosis is correct, dermatitis generated by corticoids can trigger this type of macular lesions which are difficult to treat, there is a range of therapeutic possibilities for this type of situation and cicaplast baume b5 from la roche posay is one of those options, it is a very powerful depigmenting cream, It is a very powerful depigmenting cream, which when applied every night, a thin layer just on the affected area will be very useful, obtaining a result after 6 or 8 weeks, and this is where we always insist because although the treatment is effective, it must be very well adhered to by the patient as it tends to be prolonged, so patience is a fundamental factor. I would like you to keep me updated on your situation, I will be happy to help you and guide you in any way I can.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you for your advice. I've been using alpha arbitin, vit c serum and tretinoin for the past year but nothing has changed. Would you recommend any in office treatments that would help with the scarring and pigmentation?

Yes, of course, phototherapy with ultraviolet rays can be very useful, it is a therapeutic option that you can discuss with your treating physician.