Dr Baker
Dr Baker, Family Physician
Experience:  MD
108371854

My wife has Ideopathic epilepsy and there is a strong family

My wife has Ideopathic epilepsy and there is a strong family history.The question is our two daughters who are now in their forties.What are the chances if one got it [I know it is unlikely now[ the chances of the other one getting it.I have read on the Minnisota Epilepsy group If a patient develops epilepsy starting after the age of 35 years, the risk that the brother or sister will develop epilepsy:
No increased risk However I cannot figure if it include someone with a strong family history.
Thank you for contacting Just Answer

This would be incredibly rare. The condition is, but the risk to your children is low

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Are you saying that the risk is low but not no increased risk/ If low how low?

Unlikely given your childrens ages, much more likely to present before 6 years of age. Therefore very unlikely to present later in life.