Dr Hayat
Dr Hayat, Specialty Dr Internal and Critical Care Medicine
Experience:  Expert
113699036

How safe and effective are beta blockers for treating

How safe and effective are beta blockers for treating anxiety symptoms in adolescents?
Hi. Dr Hayat here..welcome to JA.

They are fairly safe and effective for treatment of anxiety in the short term . Not recommended for long term use though..

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi Dr Hayat. Any side effects? Would they not lower the blood pressure too much and make someone feel sleepy or tired? Why are they not recommended for long term use?

Not really. They are safe . The dose in which they are used doesn't effect the BP.  Not very effective in the long term.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Is there anything else that’s safe and effective in treating anxiety in young people? My son is 17 and suffers from profuse sweating when he is around people.

Have you started the beta blockers ?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No, it was just an option suggested by the gp.

Use it for 2 weeks and see the response.  You can always get back to me

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok. Thanks
Best wishes.  Please feel free to contact me if you have any further queries or need to follow up. I will be happy to help and guide. Have a nice day.