Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Male, 31. 186cm, 82kg. Complete numbness in bottom 2 fingers

Male, 31. 186cm, 82kg. Complete numbness in bottom 2 fingers on both sides.Tonight when trying to sleep, my body keeps waking me up with total numbness in my bottom 2 fingers (pinky and ring fingers). First it was in my left hand. Second time, in my right hand. Woke me up both times.Context. I've been in hospital a lot last 2 weeks, getting looked at for extreme symptoms relating to hernias. What I mean by that is, I have 2 very small inguinal hernias which appear to be causing a lot of refered pain, which can radiate down both legs or basically anywhere in the lower body. My surgeons don't want to operate on the hernias yet without an MRI because they don't think it makes sense that such small hernias can cause so much trouble without something else going on.All my blood/urine work, blood pressure, heart tests and blood sugar levels are all clean/very good.I also haven't had any real back pain for years (used to have piriformis syndrome though for around 6-7 years but have not had real symptoms from that for about 7years).So of course my question is, what is likely the cause of this? I'm scared to go to sleep incase it's something serious.

Hello, my name is***** I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

I am reviewing your question and will be back with my response shortly.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks!
As all your tests were normal, you dont have to worry about anything.

These sensations are called Paresthesias.

Such abnormal sensations in various parts of the body are called Paresthesias.

The different types of abnormal sensations that are experienced include crawling, tingling, pricking, shooting, burning or numbness. You are having a numbing sensation. They may occur in a patch of skin or over a whole limb. Although more common n the limbs, they can occur on a patch of skin anywhere in the body including the face, thorax, etc.

Paresthesias occur due to a sensation in the nerves. This can occur due to electrolyte imbalance, diabetes, thyroid disorders, stress, anxiety, aging, etc. For you the most likely cause is stress and anxiety. There could also be some associated electrolyte imbalance.

There are various ways to treat Paresthesias. You should take the following steps at home:

Have a lot of electrolyte fluids like Gatorade.

Vitamin supplements: take Vitamin B and Vitamin E supplements which are available at all pharmacies.

Avoid smoking, cut down on alcohol, cut down on caffeine

High fiber diet -vegetables, fruits, non processed meat and fish - be sure to take nutritious diet

Avoid fatty fried foods

Maintaining regular bowel movements at fixed time

Regular hours of sleep

Regular exercise - take 30 minutes of walk 5 times a week.

Treating stress and depression: if you are having any stress and depression you should discuss this with your doctor. See your Family Physician / Primary care physician and ask about stress/depression which can set off this health anxiety. Anti anxiety medicines will benefit you greatly - ask for them.You can also ask for a salivary stress test which will determine the cortisol levels which can determine your level of stress. Such stress tests can also be done as a home test - look it up.

If these steps do not help, you need to consult your doctor for this if your symptoms persist. Medicines like Gabapentin and Lyrica are given for this, discuss this with your doctor.

But generally these steps are sufficient in most cases.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I literally just started taking tramadol which I guess could contribute?Exercise is hard for me as the pain is keeping me in bed basically all the time.Thanks for your reassuring response!

Yes, tramadol may be contributing to these sensations

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Many thanks!

Glad to help.

Wish you best of health and a quick recovery. I would like to know of your progress, please keep me informed on this thread if possible.

If you require help again, you can always come back to the JA site and ask your question. If you want me as your expert in the future, you can mark me as 'Favourite Expert' and use the “Ask me a new question” feature.

A bonus is always welcome!!