Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Male, 31. 186cm, 82kg. Complete numbness in bottom 2 fingers

Male, 31. 186cm, 82kg. Complete numbness in bottom 2 fingers on both sides.Tonight when trying to sleep, my body keeps waking me up with total numbness in my bottom 2 fingers (pinky and ring fingers). First it was in my left hand. Second time, in my right hand. Woke me up both times.Context. I've been in hospital a lot last 2 weeks, getting looked at for extreme symptoms relating to hernias. What I mean by that is, I have 2 very small inguinal hernias which appear to be causing a lot of refered pain, which can radiate down both legs or basically anywhere in the lower body. My surgeons don't want to operate on the hernias yet without an MRI because they don't think it makes sense that such small hernias can cause so much trouble without something else going on.All my blood/urine work, blood pressure, heart tests and blood sugar levels are all clean/very good.I also haven't had any real back pain for years (used to have piriformis syndrome though for around 6-7 years but have not had real symptoms from that for about 7years).So of course my question is, what is likely the cause of this? I'm scared to go to sleep incase it's something serious.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

I will be happy to assist you today.

I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks!

You're very welcome.

I will be happy to assist you today.

I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms.

Please let me know about the following and I will do my best to help you.

May I know if the numbness involves the complete finger?

Any associated severe pain symptoms?

Do you have any similar symptoms in your toes?

Any increased stress or anxiety recently? Headaches?

Are you on any regular medicine?

Thank you for being so patient.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
it was total numbness in the ring and pinky finger on the left side, almost total numbness is the same 2 fingers on the right side.No pain anywhere that accompanied the numbness.Nothing similar in my toes to my knowledge.Yes a lot of stress and anxiety from the hospital visits and tests. Not really headaches though I think?Not regular medication but I have been taking some painkillers. Took Tramadol for the first time before I went to sleep.

Thank you for your reply.

Are you able to move them? Feel pinprick?

Do you have one side body weakness?

Confusion, difficulty talking, dizziness?

Are the fingers pale or bluish?

Is it lasting for more than an hour?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ah sorry, I should have made this clear in the first post. I was able to correct the numbness almost immediately by shaking out my arms both times.Was just quite disturbed that numbness was literally waking me up. I have full feeling and no confusion, dizziness or anything else. Normal colour.I also just realised that there may have been a small 'airpods' case (about 6cm by 6cm, 2cm deep plastic box) under my back while I was sleeping. Could that have effected anything? Though for the numbness to switch sides might suggest not.

Dear Customer,

In that case, it is reassuring.

In the absence of any concerning symptoms and taking Tramadol first time tonight, I believe this is a side effect of the medicine.

Numbness and tingling of the face, and fingers, is a very common side effect of Tramadol.

Kindly make sure the blood circulation to your fingers is not restricted due to pressure.

Next time you take Tramadol, reduce the dose to half.

If you took 100mg, next time take only 50mg.

It is not worrisome, you can safely relax.

Please let me know if this was helpful.

In case you require any further assistance, do not hesitate to contact me. I am happy to help!

Wishing you the very best in life.

Thank you for the opportunity to help.

My goal is to provide you with an excellent service.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Okay, thank you sir. I only took 50mg and that was many hours before I started sleeping. Perhaps I should change painkiller?

You are very welcome.

Yes, you may consider changing it.

But, in a majority of cases, these symptoms resolve with a second or third dose.

I sincerely ***** ***** was helpful.

It was a pleasure to assist you.

Regards.