Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I just had a bowel movement which felt like knives and when

Hi I just had a bowel movement which felt like knives and when I wiped I think I saw some blood. I had another one 30 mins later which was softer and there was no blood but my butt still feels sore. What could this be

Hello, my name is***** I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

I am reviewing your question and will be back with my response shortly.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi, it’s still feels really sore now but I went a after the hard bowel movement 30 mins later and it was softer and no blood

You are likely to have had an anal fissure. Anal fissure is a linear tear in the anal mucose.

Anal fissures occur in adults due to passage of hard stools. They can also occur due to straining during constipation, diarrhea, anal intercourse, etc. They are benign conditions and will usually heal spontaneously. However, they amy rarely be a sign of an underlying disease. Some conditions like Crohn's disease or Syphilis can also cause this.

Hence if you are having recurrent anal fissures you need to show this to yur doctor.

Most anal fissures heal spontaneously. You can try home treatment initially.

High fiber diet – take a high fiber diet which will keep the stool soft.

Stool softeners – you can take OTC stool softeners like Docusate

OTC ointments – you can use OTC ointments like Cortaid.

Discuss this with your pharmacist.

Usually the fissure will heal with this.

If it persists beyond 5 days you need to show your doctor.

Your doctor can prescribe other medicines like Nitroglycerine or Nifedipine ointments, oral Nitroglycerin or Nifedipine and Botox infections.

Rarely surgery is required for chronic fissures.

Try out these home treatments first but if it persists show your doctor.

Hope this resolves your query. If you need more help, just write back here so l can continue to assist. Stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ah ok so that’s why In my second bowel movement there was no blood
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
That makes sense

Yes, just keep the stools soft and it should heal by itself.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok I think the blood just freaked me out a bit

Bleeding is common in anal fissure. However if you continue to have blood in stools you should check out once with your doctor.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ah ok thank you I think it’s stopped now but I will keep a eye on it
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Is that why my butt still feels really sore

Glad to help.

Wish you best of health and a quick recovery. I would like to know of your progress, please keep me informed on this thread if possible.

If you require help again, you can always come back to the JA site and ask your question. If you want me as your expert in the future, you can mark me as 'Favourite Expert' and use the “Ask me a new question” feature.

A bonus is always welcome!!