Dr Hayat
Dr Hayat, Specialty Dr Internal and Critical Care Medicine
Experience:  Expert
113699036

My wife is 76 and got a piece of meat stuck in her throat

Good morning, my wife is 76 and got a piece of meat stuck in her throat during dinner last night. Her throat is now clear but she keeps bring white, frothy material up very frequently. What do I need to do please?
JA: What are all your wife's symptoms? Is she taking any medication?
Customer: Although she had a reasonable night's sleep she seems very tired. She has drunk coffee and had a small amount of rice crispies this morning. She is not on any medication.
JA: Got it. Has she seen a doctor about tiredness?
Customer: No
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in her medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I can't think of anything.
Hi. Dr Hayat here.  Welcome to JA.

Was the piece of meat completely removed ?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I think the meat eventually went down. small pieces came up.

OK. Was she seen by someone ?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No

I would suggest to please get her seen either at an urgent treatment centre or the A&E.  She needs her chest auscultation and a chest xray too to make sure nothing went down the lungs. If the lungs are clear then it's not worrying

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
OK thank you.

Anything else I can help with?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
NO thanks.

Best wishes.  Please feel free to contact me if you have any further queries or need to follow up. I will be happy to help and guide.  Have a nice day.