Dr Baker
Dr Baker, Family Physician
Experience:  MD
108371854

My 5 years old daughter burped and vomited after drinking

Hi,My 5 years old daughter burped and vomited after drinking milk tonight. She had a tangerine earlier in the evening.Do you think tangerine and then milk produced too much gas and irritated her stomach?History: Her stomach became very sensitive after recovering from gastroenteritis almost 4 weeks ago. Her previous vomiting episodes occurred when her stomach was empty (before breakfasts in the mornings), when she had post nasal drip and also when she needed to burp.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer

If this is a one off, then no, I suspect that if the stomach was full and they burped, then they can regurgitate their stomach contents resulting in a vomit.

If the vomiting persists then this suggests it is more likely a viral cause, but as a one off I really wouldn't worry at all.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
She vomits time to time but not continuously after she recovered from gastroenteritis last month. There is always at least a few days to 2 weeks gap in between.

Okay, some children just vomit. If it is a regular occurrence then you should speak with your doctor about a medication to reduce the acidity of the stomach.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Can previous gastroenteritis cause this because vomiting was never a regular occurrence for her before?

Yes, certainly possible. You have nothing to worry about.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you Dr. Baker.
That is my pleasure, take care.