Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD
1725470

I am currently 31 weeks pregnant. The baby is measuring 2

I am currently 31 weeks pregnant. The baby is measuring 2 weeks ahead (I’ve had a growth scan). This is an IVF baby. The embryo was transferred when I was injecting fyremadel to stop ovulation (it was a frozen embryo transfer with a medicated cycle). I had sex two weeks before the transfer date. I’m wanting advice on whether or not I could have conceived then, hence why the baby may be growing larger
JA: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?
Customer: Not particularly
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t think so
Hello. I’m Dr. NickolsM It is a pleassure to me to atent you.

Can you tell me your age?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I’m 36
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No thanks to the call
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I became pregnant via IVF last year. After the egg collection I developed OHSS and so had a frozen embryo transfer with a medicated cycle. I injected fyramadel and took progynova. I had a scan on Wednesday 17th November and there were no follicles growing at all, so ovulation had been suppressed successfully. I then had the embryo transferred on 24th November. My husband and I had unprotected sex on 12th November, though, and so I’m wondering now if I could have already been pregnant at the time of the transfer. I don’t think this is possible due to the fact I didn’t ovulate at all. As the baby is growing so well though, I just thought I’d ask what your thoughts are on this. The first scan at the clinic showed the baby growing at the correct ‘measurement’ and she was only a week ahead at my 12 week scan
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hello?

Dear customer, it is a pleasure to be able to assist you; I want to tell you that this growth of your baby is normal and you have nothing to worry about; for many years, it has been well known that prenatal ultrasounds show a margin of error of about two weeks more or two weeks less, so if your baby has two weeks more growth than the date of last menstruation you have nothing to worry about because it is normal and is within the expected parameters.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thanks for your response, but it didn’t answer my question. As mentioned, I had IVF and therefore the dates are not based on my last menstruation. I wanted to know if I could have got pregnant while taking fyremadel two weeks before the embryo transfer. Thanks.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Fyremadel
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Fyramadel - sorry
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hello?
I am sorry you were not with happy with the answers so far.
I wonder whether you're OK with us trying to find another professional to assist you? If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you and issue a refund.
Tetyana-moderator
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I would like another professional to look at my question and answer appropriately please. Thank you.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

I am Dr. M.D.Mazumdar. I am an MD with more than 20 years experience and I am happy to help you today.

I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

When did you get your first ultrasound after the pregnancy was diagnosed? Meaning when did you get your first scan after you conceived?

And what was the size of the embryo then?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi, my first ultrasound was at 6 weeks + 2 days and was measuring at the right size for that time.
The question I have though is whether I could have conceived while taking the medication mentioned above 2 weeks before the embryo transfer. Thanks

If your ultrasound  at 6 weeks 2 days   matched with the day of transfer, then that is accurate  and you could not have conceived earlier.

Ultrasounds have an error margin of =/-  7-14 weeks in the third trimester. In  early pregnancy, the error margin is about 1-2 days.

So, if the baby measures large by 2 weeks now at 31 weeks but the measurement was  accurate to the embryo transfer date at 6 weeks, then the earlier USG will be taken as the right one. The later one at 31 weeks is showing the standard USG error.

You did not conceive before the date of embryo transfer.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience: MBBS.MD
Customer: replied 16 days ago.

You are welcome.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Is it possible to get pregnant while injecting Fyramadel though?

No, Fyramadel prevents ovulation and so, a pregnancy will not occur.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you very much

You are welcome.