the-good-doctor
the-good-doctor, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Medical Doctor
55099014

My sister has been battling cancer the last two years but

Customer Question

My sister has been battling cancer the last two years but recently it has progressed at speed from lung to vertebra now in brain there offering her radio for brain this week but says are only able to focus on maybe two small tumour but seems maybe 5 or more and cant treat them as in bad place of brain am looking to see info as to how long she may have too live as am trying to prepare myself and give her the best support i can for whats ahead they have told her 5 days of radio one blast of chemo and that will be all they can offer her be nothing more
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: We are tracking her symptoms as each dsy goes by as she is sbut confused and forgetful and has fallen a few times as her right keg has give way only started the last two weeks
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I was hoping to chat through text as my wife is in bed with jids if they call it will have to be tomorrow but obviously they might be busy and i dintvwant to take up someones time as am looking information on a diagnosis of ny sister and nsybe someone isnt well tonite thst might need thst call sorry to hsve bothered you
Expert:  the-good-doctor replied 19 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Phil and have over 10 years of experience as a licensed medical doctor.
I am happy to assist you with this question
I will be responding shortly.

I'm so sorry about this but thank you for the opportunity to help.

Your sister has very advanced cancer and the prognosis is not good as you know.

I would suspect that with or without treatment she has a maximum of probably 4-6 months.

And it could be as short as one month.

Again, I'm very sorry :(

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you for your sympathy on this one as we are just trying to prepare whats best for her as we know without active treatment things could go very fast thank you for your response is there anything we should also do as maybe start now to maybe think that down the line she might have to go into a hospice we wanted to jeep her at home and do you know if that is possible that she can be cared for just as good we are a big family so we all want to do are very best to give her the best of care we can but am asking if its brain do thry have to go to hospice or we can keep her st home and give same care uf nurses are calling daily sorry sbout long message

Yes absolutely you can keep her at home.

My advice is to get hospice involved sooner rather than later.

The studies show that hospice patients actually live longer believe it or not and have way better quality of life at the end.

Hospice can come to the home and take care of her there.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I would take a call only my wife is beside me sleeping and i am up just over thinkn thanks anyway

You are very welcome :)

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thats what i wanted to here that we can keep her st home thank you for all your advice really appreciated it

You are very welcome :)

If you ever need anything please contact me on the site.

I am grateful for the opportunity to help you today.

I'm so happy to hear that I was able to answer your question and thank you for the opportunity to help you today.
If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert.
You will have the opportunity to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish.