Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

My wife is having a problem with the ballon looks like its

Customer Question

Hi, my wife is having a problem with the ballon looks like its very inflaated, she cant eat, drink she is only vomiting and her stomach volume is very high any recommendantions on it ?
JA: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?
Customer: It has been around 4 days now
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no, that is all
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 20 days ago.

Can you clarify your question - what do you mean by 'balloon looks like its very inflated'? Does she have a catheter?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
What looks like is that she has a big bloating in the stomach
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
The baloon seems to be obstructing her stomach

Thank you for your reply. Please hold on while I type out your answer.

Bloating and distension of abdomen can be caused by many different conditions. Most common cause is Acid Reflux. It can also be caused by a wide variety of conditions like irritable bowel syndrome, liver problems, inappropriate diet, etc.

You can treat it initially by some home treatment:

Take Cap. Prilosec once cap daily on empty stomach – this helps in acid reflux.

Bismuth subsalicylate (brand names: Kaopectate, Pepto-Bismol): The usual dose is 2 tablespoonfuls every half-hour to one hour if needed. You should not take more than 16 tablespoonfuls of the regular-strength suspension or 8 tablespoonfuls of the concentrate in twenty-four hours

Gelusil: Gelucil is an antacid that also contains gas asorbing properties. I would suggest that she takes2-3 tsf thrice daily.

Metamucil capsules: A fibre supplement, it will help passage of stools and thus will relieve the bloating. Take 4 capsules a day.

*Cut down on alcohol and smoking

*have small frequent meals - Bland diet: the BRATTY diet - banana, soft rice, apple sauce, toast, tea and yoghurt is recommended.

*cut down on fried foods

*take sips of cold water from time to time

However, if the symptoms persist or it is associated with other symptoms like vomiting, you should consult a doctor.

Hope this resolves your query. If you need more help, just write back here so l can continue to assist. Stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
In her case she has an intragastric ballon, does the reccomendation still aplicable ? She is vomiting any oral medication that i give, should we go straight to the hospital ?

This is something for which you should go to the hospital urgently. You should go now to the hospital.