Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I’m worried,I have been had breast discharge since 2014 I

Customer Question

I’m worried,I have been had breast discharge since 2014 I went to the doctors they told me it’s nothing I should just stop squeezing my nipple,but my breast is now itchy and flaky on the side,and whenever I’m about to go on my period my breast has a smelly discharge
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: i do not have any pain but it burns sometimes
Customer: I get my periods every month
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 19 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age?

How long have you been having these symptoms?

Have you done any tests like Prolactin levels?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I’m 27years old
Breast discharge since 2014,flaky skin a week now,my nipple has always been different from the other,I have never done any test
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Sorry please let’s chat

Please dont worry about the call request, it is generated automatically by the website, not by me. I will help you through text.

I have your reply. Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Okay thank you
Customer: replied 19 days ago.

You are having galactorrhea. As many as 25% of women are believed to suffer from Galactorrhea, or inappropriate discharge of milk at some point in their life.. It can be due to a wide variety of reasons. The commonest cause is considered physiological, and not pathological, and is due to fluctuating hormone levels, due to excessive beast stimulation or active sexual activity. All these cause a discharge of milk. There are some other causes like hypothyroisdism, increased prolactin levels, etc, but these are probably unlikely. You should not worry about this, as you see, it is a fairly common problem and will go away spontaneously. You should avoid touching or pressing your breasts too often, dont keep checking to see if there is any discharge by squeezing repeatedly, also do not wear too tight dresses or bras.

At the same time, you should approach a gynaecologist and get the appropriate tests done to rule out any other causes for this secretion.