Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

I have inclusive body myosotis. I have recently developed

I have inclusive body myosotis. I have recently developed swollen ankles and a red blotchy rash on the backs of my legs near the ankles. Is this a form of dermot
JA: When did the swelling first appear? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: No only a cream which was prescribed by the GP
JA: Got it. Have you seen a dermatologist about the swelling?
Customer: no
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: is this a form of dermatomyostis

Hello and thank you for the question. I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Board Certified Consultant with over 17 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today. Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

I am sorry to hear about this. Respected Customer, I would like to ask few details regarding your symptoms/question to assist you more efficiently.

Are you on any kind of treatment for IBM (inclusion body myositis)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No nothing available

Steroids or Methotrexate? Nothing tried?

And for how long do you have this rash and swelling in ankles?

I did not get your reply; therefore I am posting an answer for you. I hope it will be helpful.

The rash and ankle swelling seem to be unrelated to IBM.

Ankle swelling can be due to protein leakage in the urine from the kidneys, or could be due to inflammation in the ankle joints (if there is pain in the ankle joints).

Sometimes, cardiac muscle weakness also presents clinically as ankle swelling which may progress over time to involve the legs as well.

I will suggest a urine examination initially along with renal profile to make sure if this is from kidneys or not. Echocardiogram will be next step if kidney evaluation is fine.

IBM is distinct from dermatomyositis in both clinical presentation as well as laboratory work up, muscle biopsy findings and treatment. This is not dermatomyositis.

If the skin rash is persistent; a skin biopsy can also be planned, but there is high possibility that the skin changes at back of ankles is not a rash; rather skin color changes due to underlying swelling of ankles.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please call me but my telephone number is *****

I apologize as I am unavailable for the Call. If you receive an invitation for a phone call, please know this is automatically generated by the site and has not come from me. Feel free to ignore it. We will continue in Chat Mode.