Zee J
Zee J,
Experience:  Expert
113630574

Mouth infection after tooth extraction, Yes, No

Customer Question

Mouth infection after tooth extraction
JA: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?
Customer: Yes
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  Zee J replied 18 days ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. I’d be pleased to assist you. Kindly answer following questions for further advice:

Age? Male or female?

Past medical history?

Any medicines using?

Expert:  Zee J replied 18 days ago.

Without the requested information, I can only give you a fairly general answer. I hope it is helpful.

Expert:  Zee J replied 18 days ago.

Looks like you are having tooth infection called pulpitis. Pulpitis happens when your dental pulp becomes inflamed.

Your teeth have 3 layers: the enamel on the outside, the dentin that supports the enamel, and the dental pulp on the innermost part of your tooth.‌ This central part of your tooth is made of connective tissue, nerves, and blood vessels

It can occur in one or more teeth, and is caused by bacteria that invade the tooth’s pulp, causing it to swell.

Expert:  Zee J replied 18 days ago.

Symptoms of pulpitis include:

• inflammation
  • sensitivity to hot and cold food
  • sensitivity to very sweet food

Expert:  Zee J replied 18 days ago.

You might need swab test and antibiotics

Expert:  Zee J replied 18 days ago.

There are 2 options for you to get the antibiotics quickly over the weekend

The first and best option would be to call out of hours GP now and to get the prescription as the out of hours GP would have access to your records

Expert:  Zee J replied 18 days ago.

The second option is usually local hospital emergency where you can get medicines straight away for few days

Expert:  Zee J replied 18 days ago.

Once you have an examination and swab test to look for any specific bacteria causing infection you would get antibiotics if needed

Expert:  Zee J replied 18 days ago.

Until that keep using:

1. Corsodyl mouth wash or Benzamydine (Difflam) mouth wash twice daily

2. Paracetamol 500mg tablets can be taken as 2 tablets every 6 hourly (maximum 8 tablets in 24 hours safely)

3. Ibuprofen 200mg tablets can be taken as 2 tablets three times a day (maximum 6 tablets in 24 hours safely)

Expert:  Zee J replied 18 days ago.

I am still here

Please do let me know if you have any further questions I would be happy to answer

Best of luck