Zee J
Zee J,
Experience:  Expert
113630574

Away in France but have klebseilla diagnosed here in France

Customer Question

Away in France but have klebseilla diagnosed here in France via urine culture. Use self Catherington. Feeling unwell on Cotimoxazole,prev Oxfloxacine but only 1 day made me very unwell
JA: What are all your symptoms? Are you taking any medication?
Customer: Taking trimethoprim and sulfur french antibiotic. Dr says infection in prostate tissue? Feeling very unwell.
JA: The Doctor will be able to answer that. Have you seen a doctor about the infection?
Customer: Yes culture show Klebseilla aerogenes
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Holes op in July 2021 with frequent uti,s every month since ?
Expert:  Zee J replied 19 days ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. I’d be pleased to assist you. Kindly answer following questions for further advice:

Age? Male or female?

Past medical history?

Any medicines using?

Expert:  Zee J replied 18 days ago.

Without the requested information, I can only give you a fairly general answer. I hope it is helpful.

Expert:  Zee J replied 18 days ago.

K. pneumoniae gets in your urinary tract, it can cause a UTI. Your urinary tract includes your urethra (the tube that allows urine to pass out of your body), bladder, ureters (the tube that carries urine from your kidneys to your bladder), and kidneys.

Klebsiella UTIs occur when the bacteria enter your urinary tract. Though it can affect anyone, you have a higher chance if you:

• have a urinary catheter in place, which is a tube placed in your body to drain and collect urine from your bladder
  • are a person with a uterus
  • are living with kidney disease

Expert:  Zee J replied 18 days ago.

UTIs don’t always cause symptoms. If you do have symptoms, you might experience:

• frequent urge to urinate
  • pain and burning when urinating
  • bloody or cloudy urine
  • passing small amounts of urine
  • pain in your back or pelvic area
  • discomfort in your lower abdomen
  • fever

Expert:  Zee J replied 18 days ago.

If you have a UTI in your kidneys, you might have:

• fever
  • chills
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • pain in your upper back and side

Expert:  Zee J replied 18 days ago.

Appropriate oral agents to treat acute complicated UTI due to Klebsiella include:

1. levofloxacin (750 mg once daily) 
  2. ciprofloxacin (500 mg twice daily or 1000 extended release once daily)
  3. trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (one double-strength [160 mg/800 mg] tablet orally twice daily)

Expert:  Zee J replied 18 days ago.

Total duration of antimicrobial therapy generally ranges from 5 to 10 days, depending on the rapidity of clinical response and the antimicrobial chosen to complete the course.

For individuals who have an appropriate clinical response (symptomatic improvement within the first 48 to 72 hours of therapy), we give fluoroquinolones for 5 to 7 days, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole for 7 to 10 days, and beta-lactams for 7 to 10 days.

For those who have slow response to appropriate antibiotic therapy (eg, no symptomatic improvement within the first 48 to 72 hours of therapy), evaluation should assess for infectious complications or for underlying anatomic abnormalities that could delay response

Expert:  Zee J replied 18 days ago.

Any patients who have worsening symptoms following initiation of antimicrobials, persistent symptoms after 48 to 72 hours of appropriate antimicrobial therapy, or recurrent symptoms within a few weeks of treatment should have additional evaluation, including abdominal/pelvic imaging like ultrasound or CT scan for factors that might be compromising clinical response.

Urine culture and susceptibility testing should be repeated, and treatment should be tailored to the susceptibility profile of other causative organisms isolated.

Expert:  Zee J replied 18 days ago.

So in your case just continue with Co trimoxazole (trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole) for another 6-7 days for good response 

Expert:  Zee J replied 18 days ago.

I am still here

Please do let me know if you have any further questions I would be happy to answer

Best of luck