Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

I’ve been having stomach and back pains and am worried about

Customer Question

Hi, I’ve been having stomach and back pains and am worried about pancreatic cancer. I’ve had an ultra scan and also a mri. Is there anything else you’d recommend?
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
File attached (25S54S4)
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Apparently an mri without contrast wouldn’t pick up pancreatic cancer is this true?
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 16 days ago.
Hi,Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Sumanth. I've 17years of experience in the field of Medicine. I'm currently reviewing your query, be back ASAP.

Hi...no it is not true. MRI and MRCP both are very sensitive and can pick up cancer or pancreatitis too.

Be rest assured.

This imaging rules out pancreatic cancer and you can be rest assured.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
What does MECP mean? We’ll when I googled it , it’s said the following * As the pancreatic tumors are hypovascular and can be visualized only with contrast imaging, non-contrast scans have poor sensitivity and specificity for pancreatic tumors and hence cannot be relied on to make a diagnosis
Magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography or MRCP uses a powerful
magnetic field, radio waves and a computer to evaluate the liver,
gallbladder, bile ducts, pancreas and pancreatic duct for disease. It is
noninvasive and does not use ionizing radiation.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Right, did you just copy and paste that of google? As I literally just read that!
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
You know you said an mri is also very sensitive at picking up pancreatic cancer, when I was looking into it, it said the following * As the pancreatic tumors are hypovascular and can be visualized only with contrast imaging, non-contrast scans have poor sensitivity and specificity for pancreatic tumors and hence cannot be relied on to make a diagnosis* so I’m now confused?
I did and MRI is extremely sensitive and contrast is used only to see it more vividly and to know the exact extent. IN your case the MRI is flawless.

If it is pancreatic cancer the weight loss would be very bad.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Okay, I have lost weight though , 6 months ago I was 90kg I’m
Now 85kg?

5 kg in 6 months is not significant weight loss. NO worries.