Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I missed my period six days ago. Just now started to

Customer Question

I missed my period six days ago. Just now started to experience stomach cramps and spotting
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: I’m having slight pain. I have just taken paracetamol my period is usually 26-28 days
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 18 days ago.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.

There are many causes of a delayed or missed period, pregnancy is a common cause but there are other causes as well. If you have chances of pregnancy because you had unprotected sex, you should do a pregnancy test. Home pregnancy tests are done on urine and are available OTC. The home pregnancy test is most reliable when done 7 days after the due date of the period. Hence you can do this now. This will tell you whether you are pregnant or not. The home pregnancy is not always reliable, it is to be confirmed by a blood pregnancy test or an Ultrasound. This can be done by your doctor.

There are other causes of a delayed period, the ones most likely for you are:

* Psychogenic factors: Hormonal imbalance:
* Stress
* Weight gain/loss

* Excessive dieting or overeating

* Hypothyroidism

* Obesity

* Polycystic ovarian disease

A delayed or missed period is a very common condition due to slight hormonal imbalances caused by stress, exercise, weight gain or loss, etc. It will usually resolve spontaneously and you will get back your normal period.

However, it is medically recommended that if the period is delayed for more than 4 weeks, you should approach a gynaecologist for a check up. At this stage you can also ask for a blood pregnancy test or an Ultrasound.

Meanwhile for now, steps you should take are:

Lots of fluids - water, juice, Gatorade.

Vt. C, Zinc and Vitamin B complex supplements -you can get this at your pharmacy.

Regular exercise - take 30 minutes of walk 5 times a week at the minimum. This is the most important step.

Maintain optimal weight – check your BMI on the net, its easily done. If you are overweight, try to reduce weight by at least 5 pounds, this will help greatly.

Avoid smoking, cut down on alcohol, cut down on caffeine

Cut down on excess sugar and carbs

High fiber diet -vegetables, fruits, non processed meat and fish - be sure to take nutritious diet

Regular hours of sleep

Dont obsess about this thing, it will only add to the stress and further delay your period. If the period is delayed beyond 1 month show your doctor for further investigations.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Still waiting for your

Please scroll up for my answer.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Can I have my £5 refunded
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 17 days ago.

For any complaints about payment, you have to write to customer service. We are medical experts who log on to the site just as you have done and do not have any knowledge or authority on payment services.

You can reach them here:

https://www.justanswer.com/help/contact-us

or

Call 1(888)(###) ###-####/p>