Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

I have been suffering with sciatica for more than 7 weeks

Customer Question

I have been suffering with sciatica for more than 7 weeks now. I don’t know where the sciatica source is, the pain is located in my left hip and middle of my butt cheek on the same side. All I have been given these past 7 weeks from my GP is cocodamol and ibuprofen but they are not really working. I took Naproxen as anti inflammatory but it did not work at all.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: More than 7 weeks
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, I don’t think so
Expert:  Dr Kay replied 17 days ago.

Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 14 days ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Gupta and I can help you today. I'll be back in a moment with my reply!
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 14 days ago.

I am so sorry to hear that,

It is advisable to treat sciatica as early as possible in order to avoid the progression of symptoms. Sciatica treatment may include both nonsurgical and surgical methods. Typically, nonsurgical methods are tried first. Surgery may be indicated when the underlying cause is severe and/or progressive neurological deficits such as leg weakness occurs.

First line treatments of sciatica typically include some combination of physical therapy, medications, therapeutic injections, and alternative therapies.

Acute sciatica usually gets better with 4 to 6 weeks of nonsurgical treatment. For chronic sciatica with pain lasting over 8 weeks, treatment time may take longer and may depend on the underlying cause

The goals of physical therapy and exercises for sciatica include:

• Strengthen the spine and muscles of the lower back, abdomen, buttocks, and hip.
  • Increase core strength
  • Stretch tight and inflexible muscles, such as hamstrings
  • Encourage the exchange of fluids and nutrients in the body by light aerobic exercises such as walking, swimming, or pool therapy

Both prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) medications may be used to relieve sciatica pain. A few examples of medications used to treat sciatica pain include:

These drugs are usually taken in order to obtain pain relief and allow the patient to participate in physical therapy. Drugs such as opioid analgesics are generally prescribed for short durations to avoid addiction.

Manual manipulation, typically performed by a chiropractor, aims at improving the alignment of the spine. This technique may help address the underlying conditions that can cause sciatic nerve pain, such as herniated discs or spinal stenosis. Manual manipulation can also create a better healing environment and should not be painful.

Certain forms of massage therapy, such as deep tissue massage, may have benefits for pain relief. The benefits of massage therapy include:

• Improving blood circulation, which in turn creates a better healing response in the body
  • Relaxing tight muscles, which may be contributing to the pain
  • Releasing endorphins, which are hormones in the body that function as natural pain relievers

Lumbar therapeutic injections may help treat pain stemming from conditions that affect the sciatic nerve.

Surgery for sciatica is usually considered when leg pain and/or weakness is persistent or progressive even after several methods of non-surgical sciatica treatments have been tried.

Read more here
https://www.spine-health.com/conditions/sciatica/sciatica-treatment
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sciatica/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20377441
Warm regards

Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 14 days ago.

In your case,

I would recommend the Use of hot packs, a heat lamp or a heating pad on the lowest setting. If you continue to have pain, try alternating warm and cold packs. Stretching. Stretching exercises for your low back can help you feel better and might help relieve nerve root compression.

This along with the pain meds may help,

Otherwise, a steroid injection in the spine is indicated,

Warm regards

Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 14 days ago.

I am glad to be able to help out. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know.
If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert.
It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do. Thank you for using our site.
Warm regards