How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Nickols M Your Own Question
Dr. Nickols M
Dr. Nickols M, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 530
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Nickols M is online now

I have been informed by my GP after xrays and a year of

This answer was rated:

I have been informed by my GP after xrays and a year of waiting and investigation, that I have eRly emphysema. I am 47, female and a smoker, who Desperately wants to stop. Is there any specialist who could assist me through this as my Doctors just don't seem to have the time(I no they are understaffed etc) I just would like some help
Hello, I am Dr. Nickols M; it is a pleasure to attend to you
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I'm afraid I can't afford the phone call just today

Do you take any medication regularly?

don't worry, we can continue via chat

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I am currently on
Duloxitine 120mg for fibromyalgia
Quitiapine 25mg for anxiety
Tramadol 50mg x2 for pains
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
This is per day
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
About to stop tramadol as was prescribed for back pain and I don't think I need it for that anymore

please, give me a moment

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
OK, thank you, ***** *****

Dear customer, I am very sorry for the health situation you are experiencing with all this that you tell me I understand that it can generate a great level of stress, anxiety and worry so I would like to know what exactly is what worries you the most now, that is the ear minimization or smoking cessation?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I need to stop smoking
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Did you mean pain minimisation
Still it's the smoking cessation that I'm desperate for help with

I understand, dear; in this case, I want to tell you that you have come to the right place. I will provide you with all the pertinent information to get you oriented regarding smoking cessation; most smokers want to quit smoking and have tried to do so with limited success. Effective interventions include smoking cessation counseling and pharmacotherapy, such as varenicline, bupropion, or a nicotine replacement product. One of the biggest impediments to smoking cessation is the fear of withdrawal symptoms, but I want to tell you that today there is a range of therapeutic possibilities that help considerably reduce the onset of symptoms; However, they do not disappear completely; they help to control them adequately with a rigorous medical follow-up. Most patients try to quit smoking abruptly with a strategy that has no clinical evidence, triggering relapses after a few days, weeks, or months. For this reason, it is important to remember that evidence-based smoking cessation methods increase the success rate considerably. Evidence-based counseling methods include medical advice and referral to support programs and pharmacological treatment such as combinations of nicotine replacement products. For this reason, we strongly insist that patients who feel the desire to quit smoking enter into a rigorous medical follow-up with their primary health care physician for the respective referral and multidisciplinary management of this situation as it is not a condition that is managed by a single physician and includes not only internists but also pulmonologists, psychologists, psychiatrists and occupational therapists who provide ongoing support to avoid the high percentage of relapses. I would like you to keep me updated on this situation in the coming weeks; I will be happy to assist you and guide you in any way I can.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
where do I start? With my NHS GP?
Thank you for your intricate message, I'm all in, but not sure where to start

Exactly, dear, all therapeutic management of this nature must be initiated by the family physician, who will then make the referrals to the corresponding services at his discretion.

Dr. Nickols M and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
OK thank you loads x

you are welcome dear

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
All good bye for now
Have an excellent night