Dr. Nickols M
Dr. Nickols M, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Expert
115571763

I have severe swelling and pain in my knee

Hello, I am Dr. Nickols M. It's a pleasure to attend to your question.

When did it start?

Have you had any blows?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Yesterday

how old are you?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Car accident Thursday last week 51

Do you take any medication regularly?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Sulphur salazine, htdroxychloraquin, ibuprofen, ameprazole, aripiprizol, suffer from rheumatoid arthritis

Have you had any x-rays?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
On Thursday, plus a cat scan on the head and chest, no breaks

please give me a moment

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Any update

Dear customer, it is a pleasure to be able to assist you today, if you have been x-rayed and no alteration such as fractures or any other type of bone injury has been found, it is likely that we are in the presence of a condition called bursitis which is nothing more than the accumulation of fluid in the knee joint due to inflammation of the bursa which is a bag filled with synovial fluid that helps cushion the impact generated on the joint, Trauma such as the one you experienced can trigger this type of situation added of course to the injuries at the muscle-tendon level that must be diagnosed through a thorough physical examination in combination with analysis or specific studies such as a knee ultrasound or an MRI of the knee to see the level or extent of the injury you have and thus choose the best therapeutic strategy which is based on physical therapy and rehabilitation, Meanwhile the recommendation is to start with painkillers and powerful anti-inflammatory drugs such as diclofenac in 75 mg tablet 1 tablet every 12 hours for 3 days accompanied by cold and heat therapies placing 5 minutes of cold followed by 5 minutes of heat when the inflammation goes down it is possible to use a knee brace with an opening in the break which is a device that helps maintain the stability of the knee while you spend the whole process of recovery of the knee avoiding further falls or injuries by overexertion of the structures that are in the knee. I would like you to keep me updated on your health situation in the coming days to know about your evolution; I will be happy to assist you and guide you in everything I can

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Do I need to get antibiotics?

It does not seem that you require antibiotics, however, it is recommended to take a daily photo with the same projection and illumination for the next 5 days to assess the evolution.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
You are welcome dear