Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBChB
111381268

I am worried because my legs & ankles keep swelling,

I am worried because my legs & ankles keep swelling, particularly in this hot weather & using an app on my phone l regularly seem to have a heart rate reading of 50-55bpm. I don't feel unwell or fatigued,,regularly walk my dog. I am 5ft 2 & weigh appropriately 12st.
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: I had a maternal aunt with heart problems & my grandfathet had angina. I would describe my heL
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Health as generally fine l don't feel any different to usual

Good evening, thank you for getting in touch. Could you tell me a little more about what you'd like to discuss? I may take a few minutes to reply as dealing with other patients too, thank you

Are you on any regular medication?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I am just coming up to my 64th birthday. I am on Simvorstatin
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I can't afford to pay, so can we just text please

Sorry the site offers calls automatically we can continue typing of course. Some degree of swelling of the ankles is considered normal but this can tend to get worse as we get older as the veins in the legs don't work quite as well as they did. This is made worse if we have high blood pressure or are overweight or on our feet a lot of the time.

Do you have any varicose veins that you know of?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I am over weight, but don't spend a lot of time standing, as far as l am aware my blood pressure is fine. I have no varicous veins
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have taken a pucture of how my ankles look at the moment.

Thank you. So you're not on any medication that causes it which is good. You do need some assessments carrying out namely your GP should examine your legs, the blood supply to them and also they should take a blood test for anaemia, diabetes, your kidney function and liver function as well as one we use to check the heart is ok (called nt-pro BNP). I do suspect they'll likely be normal and then we're left with it likely being due to the temperature and also a slight weakening of the vein function in the legs which is normal. Ways to reduce it are by elevating the legs if it's particularly bad and you can also consider some compression socks or stockings but they're not that nice to wear all the time.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** been very helpful. I will make an appointment to visit my GP. Do you think the fact that my heart rate on my app is usually quite low 52-55bpm when resting is a concern?

That heart rate is perfectly fine. It's only under 40 at rest that would be a concern at all. 

Of course, you're always welcome and I'm glad I could help in any way. Do come back if you've any other questions and have a wonderful day.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** & good evening to you too.

Anytime, take care.