Dr. Nickols M
Dr. Nickols M, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Expert
115571763

I think I have tonsillitis. I am prone to getting it so know

Customer Question

Hi, I think I have tonsillitis. I am prone to getting it so know what it feels like. I’m testing positive for covid at the moment and have been isolating since Wednesday. All symptoms have come and gone apart from the sore throat. It is extremely painful to swallow even saliva or water and I’m almost certain it’s tonsillitis. Strong pain killers are making it only just bearable but I think I need antibiotics asap
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: no I haven’t. I’m using Solphadeine
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t think so
Expert:  Dr. Nickols M replied 17 days ago.
Hello, I’m Dr.CustomerIt is a pleassure to me to atent you.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.

Can you tell me your age? And if you take any medication regularly?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
27 years old and not on regular medication
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Messaging only please
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hello?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hello????
we can continue via chat
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Are you there?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Is it possible to get antibiotics for tonsillitis on Sunday?

please give me a moment

Dear customer, it is a pleasure to attend to you today; I want to tell you that everything you tell me about being positive in a test for covid is obviously due to a viral pharyngotonsillitis and, like all viral pharyngotonsillitis, should be treated only and exclusively with symptomatic treatment such as paracetamol in 1 gram tablets one tablet every 8 hours for 3 to 5 days depending on the evolution, Sometimes antiseptic and analgesic candies can be useful leaving dilute the candy in the oral cavity every 6 hours, in the same way, it is important to maintain abundant hydration with at least 4 liters of water per day which will help to maintain an adequate distribution of fluids at the body level, today it has been proven a high affinity in vitamin supplements based on vitamin C effervescent tablets one tablet daily for a month which will help to strengthen the immune system in this situation. With these therapeutic recommendations, the situation should improve, bearing in mind, of course, that this situation should not be treated under any circumstances with antibiotic treatment since multiple clinical trials have demonstrated the efficacy of antibiotics in this type of situation, generating an increase in the degree of antibiotic resistance with a future requirement for more costly antibiotic treatments and with more significant adverse reactions.