Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

My molar has broken or lost a large filling and sharp edge

Customer Question

My molar has broken or lost a large filling and sharp edge is cutting my tongue.Very painful.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: It happened last night.Swallowing, talking, eating or drinking make it even more unbearable.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Such as?
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 17 days ago.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I can barely speak so that would be a bad idea.

You need to see a dentist for this as soon as possible.

I am afraid Just Answer cannot provide an emergency dentist appointment.

You need an emergency dentist appointment for this.

This is something for which you should call 111. Ask for the dentist.

The dentist online will ask a few questions and give you a referral to the nearest Dental hospital or any other hospital with a dentist on call.

It is only in this way that you will be able to get an emergency dentist appointment.

You can also go to the nearest Urgent Care centre:

https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/other-services/Urgent-Care/LocationSearch/1824

Meanwhile try these steps till you get to the dentist:

Take Tab. Motrin/Advil 400 mg twice daily for the pain, available over the counter

It is important to avoid biting the tissue. Take soft foods which require minimum of chewing

Do not touch the area, it will only cause more inflammation.

Rinse your mouth with warm saline water three-four times daily, this is very important to control inflammation. Water should be warm, not hot, and not too salty.

Apply Chlorhexidine ointment to the area after the rinse, many brands are available

These steps will help till you get to the dentist.