Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

Help with acidity? I think it’s making me anxious. Any

Customer Question

Help with acidity? I think it’s making me anxious. Any recommendations as I tried all gp medications and didn’t help.
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 17 days ago.
Hi,Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Sumanth. I've 17years of experience in the field of Medicine. I'm currently reviewing your query, be back ASAP.

1. May I know your age and gender please?

2. Are you having any burning pain radiating in the central part of the chest and how long have you had this for?

3. Is this associated with any hot and spicy or exotic food?

4. Did this start after any street food or unhygienic food?

5. Is there any personal or family history of gastritis or gastroesophageal reflux?

6. Are you feeling bloated even after small amount of food?

7. Has there been any alternating diarrhea and constipation?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No bringing pain. Had it this morning, have had Indian food last few days. Age 37. Mother suffered from reflux and been bloated today
Thank you for the information.

From your symptom analysis and correlating it with the medical history that I have gathered from you I feel that the possibilities are -

1. Acute gastritis - Probably food related.

2. Gastroesophageal reflux.

3. Irritable Bowel syndrome.

I suggest -

1. Tablet Famotidine 20mg (available as over the counter as PepcidAC in the UK and Pepcid in USA) twice a day for 3 - 7 days depending on the symptom abatement.

2. Head end of the bed elevation.

3. Do not skip breakfast.

4. Rather than two or three heavy meals, take small aliquots of four to five meals a day.

5. Avoid eating 3 hours before going to bed.

6. Avoid certain foods which can increase the the reflux like whole milk, dairy products, caffeine, chocolate, alcohol, hot tomato sauces, onions, spicy food, citrus fruits, grapefruits and peppermint.

7. Stop medications like nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs including Motrin, Advil and also vitamin C.

8. Do not don tight stomach compressing clothing.

9. Home therapy - you can do one tablespoon of of baking soda in 1 cup of warm water, gargling several times a day.

If you are not better with these measures we need to consider either IBS or prescription grade medications like proton pump inhibitors which can be very effective.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you today!

Is there anything else where I can be of assistance to you in this regard please. We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Customer: replied 17 days ago.

I wish you an early recovery!

I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you and put your mind at ease.

In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime. You’ll have the option to do that on your “My Questions” page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can add me as a favorite Expert then type @ followed by my name in your next chat.

You can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

You need to start your question with my name referred as Dr Amperayani only.