Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Two attacks of numb lips lasting a few minutes each, No not

Two attacks of numb lips lasting a few minutes each
JA: Do you have frequent headaches? Any issues with coordination or balance?
Customer: No not really have arthritis so some mobile issues
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: have C0Customer: Chat is completed

experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age and gender?

How long have you been having these symptoms?

Have you seen a doctor for this? Any tests done?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Female age 83
Just twice in last month not seen doctor yet
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Will speak to my doctor

Numbness of the lips occurs due to some condition of the Trigeminal nerve. Some of the conditions which can affect it are:

Infections: Infections such as Herpes zoster, Lyme disease, Sarcoid disease may cause numbness of this nerve. MRI of the region will usually show thickening of the nerve. An LP with cytology may be helpful.

Pressure: any cause of pressure on the nerve, such as with increased intracranial pressure, as in Benign Intracranial Hypertension. This will show up in an MRI.

Arnold Chiari malformation
: this may also cause kinking of the nerve.

Tumours: Tumours along the course of the nerve, from the pons to the periphery.

Migraines: A type of migraine without the associated headache, called 'migraine equivalents' may cause such symptoms. There are no specific tests for this, but trial with an anti-migraine drug will confirm this.

Somatisation: Finally, and most importantly, stress, depression, etc, can be the cause of this. If all others are ruled out, this is the condition to consider.

You should approach your doctor, if possible a Neurologist. He will need full neurological testing for reflexes such as the corneal reflex. He may also need an MRI and EEG. You can discuss these conditions with your doctor.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.

Glad to help.

Wish you best of health and a quick recovery. I would like to know of your progress, please keep me informed on this thread if possible.

If you require help again, you can always come back to the JA site and ask your question. If you want me as your expert in the future, you can mark me as 'Favourite Expert' and use the “Ask me a new question” feature.