Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I think I may have a abscess in my mouth. Although it

Customer Question

Hi , I think I may have a abscess in my mouth . Although it doesn’t hurt my face is visibly swollen & it feels like it is in my cheek as well as my gums .
Obviously it’s very uncomfortable,
JA: When was your last visit to the dentist? Any irregular checkups?
Customer: I moved down to London just before lock down & have been unable to get one up to now . I had toothache about three weeks ago for a bit & it looks like that particular tooth requires some work on it . So I’m assuming the two are connected
JA: Got it. Can you see or feel anything else in your mouth that is causing concern?
Customer: No , none of my teeth are hurting it’s just the swelling on my gum & cheek . From what I can make out it looks very red & obviously sore looking inside .
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Dentist should know?
Customer: Not that I am aware of
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 16 days ago.

It is best that you show your dentist for this.

You can try these steps till you get to the dentist:

Take Tab. Motrin/Advil 400 mg twice daily for the pain, available over the counter

It is important to avoid biting the tissue. Take soft foods which require minimum of chewing

Do not touch the area, it will only cause more inflammation.

Rinse your mouth with warm saline water three-four times daily, this is very important to control inflammation. Water should be warm, not hot, and not too salty.

Apply Chlorhexidine ointment to the area after the rinse, many brands are available

If these steps do not help you need to show a dentist.

If you cannot get an early dental appointment, you should call 111. Ask for the dentist.

The dentist online will ask a few questions and give you a referral to the nearest Dental hospital or any other hospital with a dentist on call.

You will be able to get an emergency dentist appointment in this way.

You can also go to the nearest Urgent Care centre:

https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/other-services/Urgent-Care/LocationSearch/1824

Till you see the dentist, you should continue with the above steps which will help you.

Hope this resolves your query. If you need more help, just write back here so l can continue to assist. Stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti