Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD
1725470

I have a hugely embarrassing questions for any dr with a

Customer Question

I have a hugely embarrassing questions for any dr with a specialism in oral transmission of hpv
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have no symptoms to treat I am worried about increased risk
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: It would be good if they knew about HPV and head and neck cancers
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: Yes
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have had two smear tests in the past year (one 2021, one this year, all smears previously were clear and I am now 40 with the same partner since 24) finding high risk HPV and am really confident in the nhs process for managing the risk of cervical cancer.My fear is that I have an elevated risk for other cancers now. I would not share this details were I not terrified, but I struggled with an abusive relationship in my teens and twenties throughout which my partner told me that intimately I tasted and smelled “wrong.” Ive never spoken to anyone about this but daily since have checked how I tasted and am now worried that by swallowing HPV infected discharge I will have increased my risk not just for mouth and throat cancers related to HPV but possibly oesophageal cancer too. This is the one that frightens me as it seems harder to diagnose and to treat. I dont have any symptoms, dont smoke and am a healthy weight and so on but am frightened I have increased my risk for developing this later on. Does this sound likely? I am so sorry, I’m losing the plot a bit (a lot) at this end and am not sure my GP will be able to advise on this.
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 15 days ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

I am Dr. M.D.Mazumdar. I am an MD with more than 20 years experience and I am happy to help you today.

I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you - I am sorry I know it is fairly grim

Please wait while I type out a reply.

I am happy to  inform you that your fears are misplaced.

Although HPV infection of the throat can lead to esophageal cancer, it takes years to do so and you would have symptoms  of HPV infection much before that - chronic dry cough, irritation in the throat.

If you had exposure in the teens and are now 40 years old without any symptoms, then you can safely rule out the increased risk of esophageal or any other cancer due to HPV.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am not sure when I was infected - i have had the same partner for 15 years but only recently (the last year or so) had the hpv show up as positive so assume it has been dormant for years, in 2018 my smear was negative for HPV but I know my husband has been faithful. Does this make any difference?

If your smear was negative in 2018,  there can be two possibilities:

- Either you picked up the virus after 2018

- The test result was wrong.

The HPV would have been picked up even if it had been dormant for years.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I think it was dormant in 2018 and so wasnt picked up: https://news.cancerresearchuk.org/2021/06/16/lets-talk-about-hpv-6-common-questions-answered/amp/
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
As it has clearly only become active since sometime after 2018 am I at risk?

It is very uncommon for dormant HPV to be missed.

No, I do not think that  this increases the risk.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It is just that the cancer research uk site says “ When HPV is dormant it can’t be detected by a test” Do you really think as it might have only been actibe for three years I am still not at elevated risk? Thank you so much

If it was active for only 3 years, you are not at risk.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It is still active - it has come up in the last two smear tests
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
When I say only actibe three years I mean I cant say i’ve had it since teens but nothing has developed so I must be fine… I mean it has only been three years and I still have it

if it was first diagnosed in 2018, the you have probably had it since then and this does not increase your risks.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.

You are welcome.