Dr Ahmad
Dr Ahmad,
Experience:  Expert
116987717

Received a blow to the nose fro ma punch, left me with a

Customer Question

Received a blow to the nose fro ma punch, left me with a slight dorsal hump, but also septum deviation that I dont think I had before... I am breathing out of one nostril a lot of the time... I have been referred for E.N.T. but these can take 30 weeks.. I am unsure whether to go through with it as my nose will be permanently changed and I am wary of the aesthetic/cosmetic side of it being worse not better.. however I also have to consider that my breathing has changed.. the heat/hot weather makes it worse where breathing more out of one nostril is concerned. If you look at some photos I send you, you can see that my nose deviates to the right, can also see nostril discrepancy.. and the dorsal hump from the blow is on the left hand side...
Expert:  Dr Ahmad replied 17 days ago.

Hi there welcome to JA. If the septal deviation is causing airway obstruction and difficulty breathing then this should be corrected as it will affect your quality of life. Normally it will look better from a cosmetic point of view after correcting septal deviation not worse. Hope that helps in making your decision.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I would like to send you some photos to get your opinion on whether its needed for me from a cosmetic point of view.. but I understand it is subjective... the more serious issue is obviously breathing.. I just breathe out of my right nostril more than the left.. more so in heat.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
File attached (LS2SSZV)
Expert:  Dr Ahmad replied 17 days ago.
The cosmetic issue is purely personal but if you are doing it for difficulties in breathing then it would be a completely reasonable procedure to undergo and is a fairly common procedure.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
they should be able to do this for free on the NHS if I am breathing out of one nostril more than the other?... how much down time am I looking at afterwards?..
Expert:  Dr Ahmad replied 17 days ago.

Yes will be done on nhs if you have breathing problems. A couple of weeks down time before you have healed.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
are you able to give me your personal opinion on the cosmetic side?.. I know your a doctor not an aesthetician but.. I am noticing im taking more selfies lately.. I have asked other people they say they didnt notice it until I pointed it out but..
Expert:  Dr Ahmad replied 17 days ago.

I wouldn’t necessarily notice it either.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
fair enough.. thank you for your time
Expert:  Dr Ahmad replied 17 days ago.

Wish you all the best