Dr Ahmad
Dr Ahmad,
Experience:  Expert
116987717

Low heart rate, mainly diabetes although my family have bad

Low heart rate
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: mainly diabetes although my family have bad heart attacks I’m 18 and feel fatigued and very anxious
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I’m 18
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I’ll briefly lay it out im 18. 65KG 6’0 severely got bad anxiety I always think in gong to drop down and die die to my low heart rate, recently over the last couple months in consistently sitting here at around 45-50bpm lying down sometimes if im lucky it will be 50-55bpm and when I stand up it increases by quite a bit which makes me think it’s pots with bradycardia?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I do not exercise and my diet is pretty awful
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I’ve recently had my bloods done and everything came back smoothly apart from the fact I was prescribed with folic acid tablets due to my diet I think my ECG came back fine but that was due to my anxiety making my heart rate higher 70BPM usually it’s considered bradycardia
Hi there welcome to Just answer. How are you checking your heart rate normally? A lower heart rate can be normal for you if you are otherwise well but as you suffer with anxiety and for reassurance it would be best to speak to your gp who can consider a holter monitor (24 hour tape of your heart) to record your heart rate as well as if you have any abnormal beats.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I’ve done it manually by counting using my stopwatch to 60 and various apps
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Also my heart rate increases quite a bit when I stand up if that’s normal
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
If there was anything serious with my heart would something appear on the 3 ECG’s I had done?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I’ve had 3 ECG’s if something was dangerous would something have appeared?

Yes the fact you have 3 normal ecgs is reassuring. It is also normal for the heart rate to go up on standing.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Could me not taking folic acid tablets have something to do with me feeling exhausted
Would you like a call as it may be easier to discuss?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
What I don’t understand is I have a low resting heart rate but when I run my heart rate is extremely fast and feels uncomfortable I hope this is due to my poor diet and being unfit?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I would love to call but unfortunately it’s too late for me so I’m unable to answer my apologies
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
If I’m being honest the main thing that’s bothering my anxiety right now is slow heart rate- death and dysautonomia I keep thinking I’ve got this disease and I’m going to just have a cardiac arrest
When you run it’s normal for heart rate to to be much faster and yes if you live a sedentary lifestyle it will feel much faster and you will be out of breath quicker than someone who does a lot of exercise
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
a low resting heart rate and a high exercising heart rate is normal for an 18 year old?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Including 45-50BPM resting
I think if you discussed this anxiety with your GP he could organise a holter monitor for you and that should reassure you that nothing is wrong. At the same time I think your general anxiety needs to be addressed again and there are helpful avenues and counselling/groups which you could benefit from that the gp can direct you to. Hope that has been helpful.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Yeah I appreciate it lastly is a low resting heart rate normal accompanied with a high exercise heart rate
it can be.

normally the heart rate will always be much higher when exercising especially in someone who does not exercise much.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
my heart rate is very fast even when walking probably due to me being unfit hence why it scares me having a low resting heart rate if anything it should be the opposite due to my poor lifestyle?

No resting heart rate can be low in young people with no other medical problems. As I said I would ask your gp to investigate this further.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay much appreciated dr daddymad do you personally think I’m just over exaggerating and overlooking into it?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Dr Ahamad
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
NO NO NO
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Dr Ahmad
I think the best option would be to let your gp assess your heart rate or a true health watch/device and then complete the 24 hour monitor. That is the best way to reassure you especially as you suffer wi anxiety
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay no worries obviously it’s going to be consistently below 60BPM so I just hope bradycardia isn’t a serious issue for me hopefully it’s normal for my age
Like I said a heart rate below 60 can be entirely normal in a young patient with no other medical problems so please don’t worry but take the 24 hr tape for your own reassurance
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay thank you I appreciate it
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks for helping me tonight
No problem