Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

Concerning? I’m 18 6’0 65KG Had bloods done recently

Concerning?
I’m 18 6’0 65KG
Had bloods done recently prescribed folic acid.
ECG was fine due to my anxiety increasing heart rate so they was unable to identify bradycardia and tried saying it’s all in my head and recommended Anti- depressants.
I constantly pulse check but I need to reassurance everyday I feel like I’m going to die due to my anxiety and I’m anxious to call the GP because they think it’s all in my head but they don’t realise I have a low heart rate I don’t exercise due to the exhaustion I get when walking around the house

Hi! I am Dr Saleem. Welcome to JustAnswer.
Thank you for the question. I will be answering your query shortly.

I understand your concern. In old days we used to consider a normal heart rate anywhere between 60 and 100. That's not the case, actually, and now we know that a normal person's heart rate may vary anywhere between mid 40s to late 90s. Some of the healthy individuals may be outside of that range too. The most important thing is that, it should be a sinus rhythm and it should respond to activity or exercise. Your normal ecgs are quite reassuring and I don't believe you have to be concnered about an underlying heart disease just because of this lowish rate.

Please let me know if you have other, related queries. I will be happy to answer. Thanks.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Yeah when I exercise my heart races and me being unfit probably has an affect on why I feel exhausted. My diet is awful and my sleep is pretty poor but either way is a low resting heart rate normal for an 18 year old make
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
male
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
About a year ago I used to have a very high heart rate I even tested for tachycardia but nothing happened and it’s changed within the last year not sure if this is me growing up/ puberty

Yes, that is not an uncommon thing even in someone who's not very active. I have seen many young patients with such low readings and most of them do not have an underlying rhythm disorder.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
That does put me at ease especially knowing they’re young. My anxiety probably has a major part to play in that
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
If my heart was functioning with troubles I’m guessing my bloods would’ve came back negative
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The only thing they said was I need to take folic acid

Something would have been picked up on investigations for sure. I can assure you that your heart rate readings are not alarming at all.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you so much that assured me I kept thinking I was gonna have a cardiac arrest or just die in my sleep due to my heart rate I know this sounds silly but clearly my anxiety fuels these thoughts

You don't have to lose your sleep over this.

Pleasure talking to you :)

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you sir

Anytime :)

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hey Doctor Salem are you available for discussion?

All the best.