Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Basically I have grommets in my ears and my hearing tests

Customer Question

Hi.Basically I have grommets in my ears and my hearing tests always come back in the normal threshold range. I struggle to hear still, esp in background noise. Sometimes I can hear someone speaking, but can't understand why they are saying?If I have normal thresholds, would that rule out sensorineural hearing loss? What reasons could it be that I have normal thresholds and have bad hearing.Also like to add I have constant pressure by the jaw teeth hurt one side, tinnitus is 24/7 for about 3 years now. Pain by cheek bone, under eye and visual disturbances.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 16 days ago.

If you have normal auditory thresholds you do not have sensorineural hearing loss. That is proven by the test results.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Can you have other issues with the inner ear even if you have normal hearing? What issues can they be if u have pressure on the jaw, cheeks, under the eyes ? I struggle to hear even with normal hearing tests

Normal hearing with difficulty in understanding words is most often functional, due to some problem in the brain, for example, stroke, etc in the brain. This is extremely unlikely for you since you do not have any other symptoms, still an MRI of the brain would help to rule this out.

The pressure on jaw, cheeks, and ears is most likely due to temperomandibular joint dysfunction. This needs to be ruled out. You should see a dentist or an ENT specialist for this.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you for your answers

Difficulty in understanding with hearing normal is most likely due to functional causes, that is, there is no physical defect but there is a functional defect. It is often psychogenic in origin, due to health anxiety which magnifies the normal difficulty we all experience sometimes in understanding speech