Dr Hayat
Dr Hayat, Specialty Dr Internal and Critical Care Medicine
Experience:  Expert
113699036

My 89 year old mum is getting pins and needles down her left

My 89 year old mum is getting pins and needles down her left arm and into here fingers should we be worried
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: She got diabetes it’s there constantly now
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: she is on lots of medication not sure what there all for
Hi. Dr Hayat here. Welcome to JA

When did this start ?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Start last week sometime but it’s constant now
Is it painful ?

Any other conditions other then diabetes ?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
She says it’s a bit painfull
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
She is on a lot of tablets some for her heart

Pins and needles is usually because of some nerve compression or irritation in the neck at this age. It can be because of diabetes but in that case it should be Bilateral.  For treatment please add in amitryptiline 10mg once a day if its not already in her treatment.  Nothing else needs to be done. Use a pillow that keeps the neck at level with the body while sleeping

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok thank you very much for your help

Best wishes.  Please feel free to contact me if you have any further queries or need to follow up. I will be happy to help and guide. Have a nice day