Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have a heavy head cold and chesty cough, which i've had

I have a heavy head cold and chesty cough, which i've had for a few days now. I cannot get an appointment at my surgery, and was told to ring tomorrow morning at 8 am. I can't sleep at night because of the coughing, and it now hurts my throat and chest every time i cough
JA: Have you used any medication for the cough?
Customer: I've tried Covonia cough syrup, and throat sweets but nothing seems to touch it
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the cough?
Customer: No, because i can't get an appointment, and it's impossible to get through on the phone, which was why i went there this morning
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No, not really, i'm not on any medication at all, and only suffer from osteoarthritis in one knee

In general, coughs are usually not a problem to treat and go away with some simple OTC medications. Your cough sounds like an allergic cough.

I would suggest these measures:

OTC antitussives: Brand names - Triaminic Cold & Cough, Robitussin Maximum Strength, Vicks 44 Cough Relief take two tsf three times daily.
OTC antiallergics: Benadryl Allergy, Nytol.

Blue (Salbutamol) inhalers: sold by ASDA in supermarkets over the counter, use two puffs every two hours or as needed.

Humidifier: use a humidifier in your room at night, this helps in cough.

Menthol steam inhalation : this is also very useful, take some staming hot water in a bowl, add Mentho salts available OTC and inhale the steam.
Logenges: such Vicks cough logenges or any hard sweets constantly, this will cause a constant flow of saliva and give you relief.

Acetyl Cysteine supplements: available over the counter, this helps in thinning the mucous.

However if the cough persists, or you develop other symptoms like pain in the chest, you should go to your doctor.

Hope this resolves your query. If you need more help, just write back here so l can continue to assist. Stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you, i've written this all down. I have a facial sauna/inhaler which i can put olbas oil in as well. Thank you for your advice

Glad to help.

Wish you best of health and a quick recovery. I would like to know of your progress, please keep me informed on this thread if possible.

If you require help again, you can always come back to the JA site and ask your question. If you want me as your expert in the future, you can mark me as 'Favourite Expert' and use the “Ask me a new question” feature.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have been to see a pharmacist, and picked up some Robitussin, and Nytol, and I will try the doctors again at 8 am tomorrow to see if I can get a telephone app't

That's great. Wish you a quick recovery