Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I HAD A STROKE 20 YEARS AGO. This affected my left side - I

i HAD A STROKE 20 YEARS AGO. This affected my left side - I have virtually no use in my left arm and leg. Over the past few days I have been getting spasms in my left leg, together with unusual sensations in my leg, mainly across the top of my foot above my toes, Also below the hip and above the knee and around the ankle
JA: Have you used any medication for the stroke?
Customer: Only for reducing blood pressure
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the stroke?
Customer: yes. I was in hospital for about 6 months and saw a GP occasionally after that
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no

Welcome to Just Answer.

Answers here are for education and information.

I will respond shortly with an answer or further information request.

Were you prescribed medications for the spasms?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
no

Thanks for the question.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 3-5 minutes.

Unless you wish to speak in person, you can ignore the request for a phone call automatically generated by the website, not by me.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have not been able to see my gp yet

Poststroke spasticity (PSS)/spasms are a common complication/manifestation.

The treatments are;

1) Antispastic oral medications (baclofen, tizanidine, dantrolene, and benzodiazepines) can effectively

2) Nerve blocks are effective in managing focal spasms.

3) Botulinum neurotoxins (BoNT) for focal spastic issues.

4) Electrical stimulation

5) Physiotherapy.

I hope your symptoms resolve soon.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need more information.
Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
even 20 years after the stroke?

Yes, they may happen years later.

The medical causes related to the disease process are;

1) Calcium and phosphorus imbalances can cause cramping.

2) Low potassium or sodium (salt) levels.

3) Deficiencies of a nutrient called hesperidin, an antioxidant flavonoid found in oranges and other citrus fruits, have also been linked to nocturnal leg spasms.

4) Overexertion, standing on concrete for long periods, or prolonged sitting (especially with the legs contorted) may contribute to nighttime spasms.

5) Having structural disorders in the legs or feet (such as flat feet) may increase the risk for spasms/cramps.

6) Among the many medical causes of muscle cramping include hypothyroidism, Addison's disease, uremia, hypoglycemia, anemia, and certain medications.

Electrolyte imbalances are generally considered the most common main cause. A blood electrolyte level can help you in ruling in or ruling out this. Some researchers believe inadequate stretching and muscle fatigue leads to abnormalities in mechanisms that control muscle contraction. Other factors may also include exercising or working in intense heat and dehydration.