Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

I want to know about the effects of COPD and alcohol, n/a,

Customer Question

I want to know about the effects of COPD and alcohol
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: n/a
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
My mother excessively drinks and smokes cigarettes while having COPD. This has been going on for well over a year. She refuses to be honest with doctors about her health choices and I’ve noticed atleast every fortnight she complains about chest pains. Id like to know if my mother is dying long story short.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 10 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr K. I have over 25 years of clinical experience and look forward to answering your question. i may need more information from you, so I may ask for that. My goal is to provide a complete answer to your question and to be sure you are satisfied with that answer.

I am sorry that you are having this problem but will do my best to assist you and answer your questions.     If your mother is an alcoholic and has copd, while still smoking, she has a really poor prognosis.   Patients with copd that continue to smoke generally have a life expectancy of 5 years or less   I’m really sorry.

It also seems that she has a heart condition.   There is not much you can do unless she wants help from you.  Thats a hard spot to be in.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your question. Please let me know if you have additional concerns or need me to clarify something. I am happy to help.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Apologies because I actually meant to say ‘mother-in-law’ but typed way too fast out of excitement, I’ve been trying to find a website like this for days now, thankyou so much. This is almost like a moment of clarity for me. She complains about chest pains atleast every 3 weeks, and then goes to the hospital and never admits she smokes or drinks. So they don’t actually know what’s wrong with her
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
As far as I’m aware, she has a COPD inhaler and has also recently been to the hospital with problems about her stomach; she has bowel issues, anything she eats goes straight through her (she also barely eats a thing, I’m talking 1 meal a day). I just wanted to know what a professional would say about all of this
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 10 days ago.

Chest pain is due to atherosclerotic heart disease.    I’m sure they know she smokes as  I bet she smells like it.   And if there were liver issues from drinking, they know that too.    So they may know a lot more than you think    You could always show up next time shes there and let them know.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Wow. Honestly you have no idea how helpful this is
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 10 days ago.

I’m very glad.   Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your question. Please let me know if you have additional concerns or need me to clarify something. I am happy to help.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
What additional information would you need from me ? Anything I can provide I’ll do my best, ***** ***** to send all this information to my husband so he’s also aware
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 10 days ago.

I do not need any more information.   If you have followup questions, let me know.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I do have another question .. the heart disease. Would you say you’re certain that’s what the frequent chest pains could be ?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 10 days ago.

No, of course not.   Bear in mind that this is an online question and answer service.   For general information only.   There is no way I could know for sure why she is having chest pain.   Thats just the most likely possibility.    I’m sure you understand.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Right okay. Thankyou so much
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 10 days ago.

Does this help to answer your question? I want to be sure that I have given a full answer and that you are satisfied. Please let me know if there is anything you do not understand and if you have any feedback for me.

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 10 days ago.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer. I would be pleased to assist you with a future question. You can request me by tagging me in your question or adding me to your favorites.