Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I often feel stiffening and tingling in especially thumb and

i often feel stiffening and tingling in especially thumb and first two fingers of left hand in bed - can be painful and usually fades by stretching arm down side of body but can also loose some touch sensation in finger tips. I'm aged 80 but otherwise healthy apart from some hip joint wear for which I take 20gm collagen daily which has abolished hip pain if I avoid heavy lifting. I presume collagen doesnt affect my fingers.
JA: What are all your symptoms? Have you talked to a doctor about the sensation?
Customer: spoken to my GP who simply said colllagen isnt used in NAT HEALTH SERVICE - ignored my finger complaint!
JA: Got it. When was your last doctor visit? What did you discuss?
Customer: Maybe a month ago by e-mail - he doesn't like face to face - prefers zoom - I am avoiding getting angry with this new attitude of many gp's because it needs political direction!
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: healthy ex-farmer still gardening - veg for three families - and active mentally running an equestrian pasture advisory service.

Welcome to Just Answer.

Answers here are for education and information.

I will respond shortly with an answer or further information request.

Thanks for the question.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 3-5 minutes.

Unless you wish to speak in person, you can ignore the request for a phone call automatically generated by the website, not by me.

Your symptoms are suggestive of;

1) Pinched nerves in the neck

2) Carpal tunnel syndrome.

The following measures would be helpful for pinched nerves in the neck;

1) Neck care in the activities of daily living.

a) No working on the computer for more than half an hour in a single stretch. Same for TV/ IPad/ Mobile.

b) Monitors and televisions exactly in front (180 degrees).

c) Contour pillow: Should fill the hollow when lying on the back /straight or sideways. The principal is neck to be in a neutral position and supported. Available over the counter.

2) Soft Cervical Collar or Brace

3) Cervical traction

4) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen etc.

5) Some physicians do give oral steroids in severe radiculopathy cases, in whom pain/numbness/tingling is quite significant.

6) Physical therapy: gradually increasing exercises from passive stretching to active ROM and against resistance regime.

7) Electrotherapy in the form of TENS, interferential and laser, and ultrasound.

8) Hot fomentation

9) Local analgesic patch/ointment/ spray.

10) Gentle massage.

11) Acupuncture

This is an exercise resource;

https://www.spine.org/Portals/0/assets/downloads/KnowYourBack/CervicalExercise.pdf

The investigations advised are;

MRI of the neck and wrist

Electromyography

Nerve conduction velocity study.

Vitamin B-12

Blood sugar

Following is the comprehensive treatment protocol for carpal tunnel syndrome:

1) Therapeutic ultrasound and shortwave diathermy

2) Wrist splints with the wrist joint in neutral or slight extension (to be worn at nighttime for a minimum of 3-4 wk).

3) Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs); Brufen 400 mg twice a day.

4) Gabapentin 100 mg twice a day.

5) Physical therapy/Occupational therapy/Exercises.

6) Steroid shots

I hope your symptoms resolve soon.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need more information.
Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
OK Doctor - I guess the symptons may lead to further decline and sharper pain if linked to aging process but wonder if it is circulatory issue - hope collagen doesn't interfear with touch/arteries because it seems to improve hip from aches due to wear showing up on xray.

I hope you could see the answer above.

It seems we posted simultaneously.

It is not likely to be a circulatory issue